National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strangely Long Fermentation - Problem?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Mileyj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strangely Long Fermentation - Problem?

Hey guys about 10 days ago I made a chocolate milk stout and everything has been fine except that the fermentation is still going on. I've never had a fermentation go on for this long (still bubbling right now), and I was wondering if I should go ahead and throw it into a secondary to keep from getting weird flavors off the old yeast and hops.
Of course the other option is I'm just being a paranoid newbie and need to chill out.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1276 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 593

I vote for the other option

Three points:
1) Bubbles do not equal fermentation. Your beer might still be fermenting, and it might just be venting gas. The airlock has no way of knowing the difference. Only your hydrometer can tell you that.

2) Long fermentation curves are typical for certain yeasts in all conditions and for all yeasts in certain conditions. 10 days isn't that long.

3) Your beer won't get weird flavors in the primary. A month or more in primary is well within standard practice.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1724 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 52829

+1 to the above. Try and forget about it and revisit the fermenter in two to three weeks.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Mileyj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I vote for the other option
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Seeing activity for that long is not a sign that something has gone wrong. I've definitely had it happen before - as much as 14 days. The real gauge of fermentation progress is gravity readings.

And I would not worry at all about getting weird flavors off the old yeast. Actually one of the worst things you can do is rack to secondary while the beer is still fermenting. Many on this board, including myself, don't even use a secondary, and will primary as long as 4 weeks or even more. If you want to learn more, check out this post (and I know Revvy has several others on this topic) : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/leng...0/#post2258369