Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
starrfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

That's looking AWESOME!!!! I just replaced my standard tap handles with these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I saw them recently on an old episode of "Cheers" the rival bar "Gary's Olde Town Tavern" had all their taps done with these. I liked the short look it gave the taps.

At some point I may try to make some tap handles...

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Thanks starrfish...good to hear from you. I'm going to try to drill out deer antlers to use as tap handles. They are a b*tch to drill out, but I'm gonna give it a go. I made a towel hanging rack for my hot tub out of a red cedar slab and deer antlers and drilling the ends of the racks was horrible and it smelled like burning hair. Took me forever to drill 4 of them!!! If anyone knows what kind of drill bit would help out the process please let me know. Thanks again starrfish. I look forward to your brew day pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
That's looking AWESOME!!!! I just replaced my standard tap handles with these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I saw them recently on an old episode of "Cheers" the rival bar "Gary's Olde Town Tavern" had all their taps done with these. I liked the short look it gave the taps.

At some point I may try to make some tap handles...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
Thanks starrfish...good to hear from you. I'm going to try to drill out deer antlers to use as tap handles. They are a b*tch to drill out, but I'm gonna give it a go. I made a towel hanging rack for my hot tub out of a red cedar slab and deer antlers and drilling the ends of the racks was horrible and it smelled like burning hair. Took me forever to drill 4 of them!!! If anyone knows what kind of drill bit would help out the process please let me know. Thanks again starrfish. I look forward to your brew day pics!
Nice bar, start with a small bit and work you way up and yes it stinks.
Where did you get the bar top ?

Pat

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Jota21
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
I'm going to try to drill out deer antlers to use as tap handles.
What a good idea!

It's looking good already and I hate to say it, but i'm not feeling the brushed nickel vent on the front. Other than that it looks perfect and i'm very jealous.

When you say you're doing a coffin, you mean an actual coffin top, right? Not just a tower or two? I have faith that it'll look as awesome as the rest of the basement. Look forward to the progress!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks Pat. I got the bar top from Artisan Redwood Burl in Berkely, CA from a guy named Jim Parodi. Took me forever to find the top and with me being in Michigan, it was pretty scary buying something like this that I couldn't see first. He was great and emailed me tons of pictures to put my mind at ease. I would strongly recommend his company. DO NOT try to go through www.redwoodburl.com! They claim to have 100's of slabs, but over a 3 week timeframe failed to send me a picture of anything useable. They sent me two pictures over 3 weeks and one slab was covered in mud and water damaged and the other was 46" wide and only 6' long. They just couldn't produce proof that they had what I wanted. Eventhough their website has tons of pictures of beautiful redwood slabs, they are old pics. I did some looking around and they seem to have a history of not shipping what was pictured on their site. Thanks for the advice on drilling the antlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Nice bar, start with a small bit and work you way up and yes it stinks.
Where did you get the bar top ?

Pat

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes a coffin top with 4 tap handles. I'm coming up with ideas on how to not only build it, but to also cool it as well.

Yeah, I'm a little on the fence with the vent in the front as well. I really wanted to make sure that there was plenty of ventilation, but with the back being open, vents on the sides would have probably been fine. I went with the brushed nickel, because eventhough the entire basement is in a rustic lodge decor, all of the fixtures are brushed nickel. We used a lot of the leftover fixtures from building the rest of the house and actually the brushed nickel seems to go fairly well with the rustic decor.

Lets take a poll: Who likes the vent and who hates it. I'll get everyones feedback and then decide if it stays or goes. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota21 View Post
What a good idea!

It's looking good already and I hate to say it, but i'm not feeling the brushed nickel vent on the front. Other than that it looks perfect and i'm very jealous.

When you say you're doing a coffin, you mean an actual coffin top, right? Not just a tower or two? I have faith that it'll look as awesome as the rest of the basement. Look forward to the progress!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I do not like the vent in the front

I think with the back open and side vents you have NOTHING to worry about

-=jason=-

Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
YNOT2K
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i say remove all vents. the whole back is open, right? just don't push it right up against a wall and you're golden.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
YNOT2K
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Reason: double post - doh!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
tomije87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts