Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Going to attempt first partial mash, looking for rundown of equipment....

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
cutchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Going to attempt first partial mash, looking for rundown of equipment....

Hey guys,

Finally wanting to attempt my first partial-mash recipe. Just want a rundown on what additional equipment I need beyond what I have now (A normal extract brewer)

I'm looking for recommendations on mash tins or how much bigger of pots I might need. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
alreadyhome
Recipes 

I have only just registered but I have a partial mash under my belt that went really well. You are going to need an extra pot, anywhere from 3-5 gallons, a grain bag/paint strainer bag, and some binder clips. That's all you really need to start working from your stove. A nicer electronic thermometer or floating thermometer could be handy too. I followed this tutorial on here to do my first PM. Try looking at your equipment versus the list there.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The only things I needed for my first partial mash that wouldn't be used in an extract brew is our pasta pot and large kitchen strainer. I mashed in the pot and then poured it through the strainer into my kettle. Works great. I did that for most of a year before I built a cooler mashtun.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
downinit
Recipes 

I just started partial mashing also and I use a 12 qt pot as a mash tun - separate from my brew pot. It fits in my oven so that I can keep the temp steady for an hour. I use a big (24" x 24") bag to hold grains and a thermometer to check water temp.
Pale Ale

Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 533

5gal paint strainer bags work great for a grain bag and make it easy to strain/sparge

check out the sticky thread by Death Brewer in the beginners forum