Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Chest freezer fermentation chamber for 2+ carboys

Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
julian81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Chest freezer fermentation chamber for 2+ carboys

Been reading the forums a lot, learning a lot, and also spending a lot, heh. I've brewed one all grain batch and am already hooked.

I'm ready to put some money into making a fermentation chamber where I can keep the temps more stable. This last time around, I had a hell of a time keeping it consistent. The temps were almost 78/79 one morning during the vigorous part of fermentation and I'm just not cool with that. I want an environment where I can "set it and forget it". I don't want to put a lot of time and energy and money into brewing if having inconsistent ferm temps are just going to affect my product anyway.

So, I think I'm mostly settled on getting a chest freezer for the garage. Given the space, and horizontal profile, I think it would be ideal for me.

I'm having a hell of a time finding the INSIDE dimensions of these chest freezers online so I know what size chest freezer can accommodate 2 glass 6 gallon carboys or better bottles (I currently only have 1 glass 6 gallon carboy and 1 glass 5 gallon carboy but like the idea of a lighter, less fragile vessel perhaps in the near future). Does anyone know of a particular model of chest freezer that can accommodate what I'm looking for?

I have read about using corny kegs as fermentation vessels but I don't have any kegging equipment (yet). I think a chest freezer to accommodate 2 (3 would be nice if the freezer itself isn't much bigger/more expensive) carboys for now is enough, and down the road if I move to cornies I'll just be able to fit even more of them in there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
ohdannyboy
Recipes 

I got another used kegerator......its more expensive.... but no lifting over the side and more taps can be made available. I also heard that freezers have moisture problems because they are not built to maintain low temps...
the cheapest ....and best solution is to get a cheap fridge off craigs list

Ps make sure to get the digital johnson controls......I think its alot better

Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A kegerator is basically a mini fridge, in which case, I'd only be able to fit 1 carboy in there, no? Or did you mean, get a couple mini fridges/kegerators and then I can fit 2 carboys (or multiple corny kegs)? Do you ferment in corny kegs?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I have the GE 7cf chest freezer, and it will fit two ale pales or two six gallon better bottles. I also have the johnson controller for it.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo28 View Post
I have the GE 7cf chest freezer, and it will fit two ale pales or two six gallon better bottles. I also have the johnson controller for it.
Can you provide the model # please?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian81 View Post
Can you provide the model # please?
Model # FCM7SUWW

Bought it from Home depot. I can fit a 6 and a 5 in it (I don't have two 6s). If you're able to take measurements/size cutouts of the bottom of your pales/carboys to the store it will make it easier to size the freezers. You might bring it home and find out both don't fit.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good call. I will do that, thanks for the info! This model is currenlty $198 at Home Depot. I think this might be the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Model # FCM7SUWW

Bought it from Home depot. I can fit a 6 and a 5 in it (I don't have two 6s). If you're able to take measurements/size cutouts of the bottom of your pales/carboys to the store it will make it easier to size the freezers. You might bring it home and find out both don't fit.
Yep thats the one.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian81 View Post
Good call. I will do that, thanks for the info! This model is currenlty $198 at Home Depot. I think this might be the best bang for the buck.
See if you can find a coupon and also check lowes. If you can live with used check craigslist. Some areas of the country (especially big hunting areas) have good deals on craigslist. I went new because down here people are greedy and they expect 150 dollars on a 5 year old item that was 200 when they bought it.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
ohdannyboy
Recipes 

I can fit 2 6 gal better bottles or 1 8 gal ale pail