American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Rehydrated Dry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
16 days @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Aroma is like having your head in a bag of oranges. So drinkable.
14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

I did it the second time and got the same great results again. I only let it sit on the oak for 14-17 days until I'm ready to package the beer. Dry hops were all added to the primary after 7 days or obvious fermentation had settled down.

This recipe is based on the Green flash West Coast IPA on the Brewing Network "Can you Brew It" show. I changed around the hop schedule and made some additions and I can't get enough of this beer.

I've brewed it twice now and it is extremely drinkable. I brew a lot of IPA's but this is by far my favorite. The aroma is SO orange and citrusy. That's why I'm being a dork and calling it fresh squeezed.

If you give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty pumped. This recipe just took Best of Show and a People's Choice award in a competition yesterday! If you're an IPA person, you have to try it.

This might be a silly question, but do you know what elements the chinook add? Are you using them to offset the citrus of the Amarillo/Cascade? I have all the ingredients but the cara-pils & chinook at the moment, thinking maybe I could use all simcoe in place of the chinook for a bit of pine element?

This might be a silly question, but do you know what elements the chinook add? Are you using them to offset the citrus of the Amarillo/Cascade? I have all the ingredients but the cara-pils & chinook at the moment, thinking maybe I could use all simcoe in place of the chinook for a bit of pine element?

It's just a hop that I love and it kind of has it's own quality but I'm sure you could sub simcoe and get a good result. Like you said, it will be a bit more piney but that might go nice here.

The key is really the aroma additions and the big dry hop. I haven't brewed it without the oak yet but I'm going to continue using it because I want this beer to keep coming out the same every time. Good luck!

This is REALLY similar to the Chicamarillo I made, except without the Simcoe additions. It was my best brew yet...I'll have to make some slight modifications and try this out. The oak sounds kind of odd in an IPA, but I guess I'll have to try it...I'm ok with a hint of oak.

The cascade, amarillo, chinook combo is glorious!! Rebrew is underway! Thanks for sharing.

Edit: congrats on taking best of show! Also I think the chinook adds another dimension of citrus, and really ties the cascade and amarillo together. I'm sure simcoe is great in the dry hop also, but I think Chinook is pretty important in the flavor/aroma profile!

14.5# American Two Row
90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

Any idea what IBU was. I''m inspired by this hop schedule, but this seems like IBU would be very high. Modeling a high hopped RyePA after a similar hop profile?

Oops, just saw you list it at 98IBU. What did you use to calc?

Boy, this looks like a great recipe! May have to try this one next. I love the way a little Chinook adds a dimension to some of the other Citrus hops, like Amarillo.

Lately I've been adding a tiny bit of Willamette(not much) to increase complexity. Wonder if it would work here, as well?

Any idea what IBU was. I''m inspired by this hop schedule, but this seems like IBU would be very high. Modeling a high hopped RyePA after a similar hop profile?

Oops, just saw you list it at 98IBU. What did you use to calc?

Beer Smith. Rager formula.

Just brewed this up tonight, only did a few things diff. Used flaked barley and a mix of c-15 and caramunich 60, and instead of the 90min and 30min addtn I just did the 90min as a FWH. My IBUs were pretty high already since my chinook is 13.3%. Hit 1.072 and should have around 103 IBUs.

I'm kind of hesitant to throw these oak cubes on the whole batch...but I'm just going to do it, because I pretty much followed suit on the rest of the recipe. Really interested to see how this comes out, and how it will taste in comparison to my Chicamarillo IPA. The simcoe/chinook smelled delicious!!

Thanks for sharing! I'll let you know how it comes out. By the way..I was considering calling this one, "Squeeze These" :D

I actually did a 5g batch, so that was probably what made up for the IBUs since I replaced the 90/30 min addition with the first wort hops. Looking forward to trying this out. Did it take long to condition before it was really ready to drink?

I'm thinking of brewing this soon. A couple questions: what yeast did you use, did you sparge? If so what was the schedule?

Thanks! I've wanted to try green flash for a while now, but have never been able to find it when I've been on the west coast.

I'm thinking of brewing this soon. A couple questions: what yeast did you use, did you sparge? If so what was the schedule?

Thanks! I've wanted to try green flash for a while now, but have never been able to find it when I've been on the west coast.

Re-hydrated S-05 and I batch sparge. I don't remember without my notes but I did a two round batch sparge.

Wow! This is an OUTSTANDING brew. I've made quite a few IPA's too, and this is my new favorite. Gave away quite a few over Easter weekend, now everyone wants more! The citrus notes are prominent, but nicely balanced.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will be making more soon for the summer, after that it's going into regular rotation.

fresh squeezed.jpg

Wow! This is an OUTSTANDING brew. I've made quite a few IPA's too, and this is my new favorite. Gave away quite a few over Easter weekend, now everyone wants more! The citrus notes are prominent, but nicely balanced.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will be making more soon for the summer, after that it's going into regular rotation.

I'm curious if you followed the recipe straight through and added the oak? I'm going to make a batch this weekend and try it without the oak and also make one and double the oak to see what I get. This one never stays around long. :)

Lodovico said:
I'm curious if you followed the recipe straight through and added the oak? I'm going to make a batch this weekend and try it without the oak and also make one and double the oak to see what I get. This one never stays around long. :)

Well, sort of - I didn't see the medium toast oak cubes at my store, but they had oak chips, so I used those. I did not really detect any oak flavor in the finished beer, but it could be subtle, and just contribute to the overall flavor. I'd be interested in how your experiment turns out.

Drinking this now. Very tasty brew. It reminds me of a Ranger IPA, since it does have similar hops, but I'd have to say this is definitely better! Has more of a citrus/orange flavor than Ranger, which I think rounds it out more, Ranger almost gets catty to me after a little while of drinking them.

I used the oak cubes but dont notice them really, and unless it tastes like a tree, I'm not good at detecting that flavor. I think I can taste it more in the mouthfeel and maybe adds a little smooth dryness to it. It seems to blend well with the hops.

I think I could have left the dry hops and oak in for a few more days. It's got a great aroma, but it may have been better if I would have left them on for 10 days. I got anxious and kegged after 6 days of dry hopping.

It's still rounding out, as it's only been in the keg for maybe 2 weeks or so, but definitely digging it so far! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Edit: I did a pretty different malt bill also, so this might change the overall flavor profile, as you used more crystal malts and some munich, but obviously the hops are the spotlight of this recipe, so I doubt it made a huge difference. However I don't think the extra crystal is a bad idea with this one. Either way it's a great beer!

Here's a picture of it in action :)

ForumRunner_20110504_195033.jpg

I've been extract brewing for the last 5 months (newbie) and I want to use this amazing sounding recipe as my first all grain. This beer sounds so up my alley. I don't have all the gear to do a normal mash/sparge but I just got an awesome pot to do BIAB. Anyone want to suggest any changes to the grain bill for me? I've read how BIAB can be a bit less efficient than the standard AG methods.

Brewed this last evening with a few slight changes. Used some C-15 as well as C-40 and only used 1/2 pound of carapils. Also only did a 60 minute boil and adjusted the amount of hops slightly to account for this. Think I ended up with 80 IBU's and an OG of 1.060. I was aiming for a slightly lower alcohol version. I ended up with 6.5 gallons, so I split it between two ale pails. Used a slurry of Notty from my house amber that I bottled a few days ago. I am thinking of dry hopping each one with different hops, just to see what it does. I will wait until then to decide, based on what I think I would like with how it is tasting. I will try to remember to update when I do that.

Thanks for the tasty looking recipe :mug:!

Brewed this last evening with a few slight changes. Used some C-15 as well as C-40 and only used 1/2 pound of carapils. Also only did a 60 minute boil and adjusted the amount of hops slightly to account for this. Think I ended up with 80 IBU's and an OG of 1.060. I was aiming for a slightly lower alcohol version. I ended up with 6.5 gallons, so I split it between two ale pails. Used a slurry of Notty from my house amber that I bottled a few days ago. I am thinking of dry hopping each one with different hops, just to see what it does. I will wait until then to decide, based on what I think I would like with how it is tasting. I will try to remember to update when I do that.

Thanks for the tasty looking recipe :mug:!

How did these changes come out?

I just bottled this last night. I dry hopped with an ounce of amarillo and an ounce of cascade for one week. My OG was 1.060 and my FG was a little high at 1.020 with 80 IBUs . (Just order an oxygenation kit from Williams Brewing - I think that will take care of some under attenuation issues I have been having.) It tasted really good, perhaps a bit sweet, but I will wait until it is carbed for final analysis.

Any update? How did your with and without oak experiment turn out?

Any update? How did your with and without oak experiment turn out?

I have no way of explaining it, but it seems that my batch without the oak, has a little less citrus aroma than the oaked versions. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's not there.

I think the oak does provide a certain smoothness in the drinkability as well, so I'm going to go back to oaking this one. Cheers! :mug:

:D
I have no way of explaining it, but it seems that my batch without the oak, has a little less citrus aroma than the oaked versions. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's not there.

I think the oak does provide a certain smoothness in the drinkability as well, so I'm going to go back to oaking this one. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks. I was just curious. I have no intention of changing a thing in this recipe. Will probabl do another batch in a couple of weeks. Down to my last few bottles. :(

We'll see how this turns out for me. LHBS didn't have Simcoe so I used Centennial instead. I started way too late like a dummy and was up until 4am working the brew Monday night. My boil off rate was far higher than I expected and I only ended up with 4 gallons at a whopping 1.082 SG. I do have to say though that I was stunned I was able to BIAB that much grain with the limited equipment I have.
Crossing my fingers...

I have some med french oak chips, do you think if I did an oz of these it would impart more oak then the cubes? I like the idea of the added smoothness but don't really want to add more oak flavor. I might just get some cubes to have anyway but wanted to see what people thought, hopefully brewing this tomorrow night, looks and sounds wonderful!!

I have some med french oak chips, do you think if I did an oz of these it would impart more oak then the cubes? I like the idea of the added smoothness but don't really want to add more oak flavor. I might just get some cubes to have anyway but wanted to see what people thought, hopefully brewing this tomorrow night, looks and sounds wonderful!!

An ounce of oak chips will typically contribute more than an ounce of cubes but it's in there such a short period of time, I'm not sure how much more?

Give it a shot so we know what happens!! :mug:

Alright, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes! Picked up grains today brewing tomorrow or Sunday, going to be my first attempt at an IPA! I'm excited :D

This recipe sounds so fantastic, i'm attempting it as my 2nd batch. I'm doing it as a partial mash (cara pils, crystal 40, and munich), and using a DME 2 row. The homebrew store near me didn't have simcoe, or amarillo, so they replaced them with sorachi and centennial respectively. I'm not extremely familliar with the hops but the descriptions seem close. Thoughts? Also, my oak cubes say leave in for a minimum of 8 weeks. Is this more for an oak flavoring recommendation, or is it a "sanitization" concern. I'm looking forward to brewing this up tomorrow. I just hope the adjustments don't take it too far away from the original "fresh squeezed IPA" idea. Thanks for any pointers!
Brad

Whew! The weekend was busier then originally planned so I didn't get to brew. I decided since I had my grains crushed already that I needed to get it done so I ended up brewing last night after work. Got off work later then anticipated and finished up and in bed by 4am this morning. Needless to say this day has been dragging . I transferred my wort to a previous cake of wlp01 from a pale ale and this morning my airlock was going crazy. Little lower efficiency then usual but overall I had a pretty good brew session! Mostly used loose leaf hops so it was quite the challenge to transfer into the fermenter and I lost quite a bit of wort :(. I'll report back later when I finally get to taste this one. Was a fun first experience with an IPA. I think I might be building a hop spider if I do one again, or order pellet hops online to hopefully have less transferring issues.

Wow... I am entering this into BeerSmith right now. This sounds awesome.. Question. For those that use beersmith, is it a common ptractice to have someone email the recipe database and etc instead of entering... just wondering

Beerme, I divided everything by 6 then multiplied that by 5. It came out to pretty standard measurements. The hops are a bit tricky but you have room to play with it. Bottled it on Friday and it already tasted great!

Beerme, I divided everything by 6 then multiplied that by 5. It came out to pretty standard measurements. The hops are a bit tricky but you have room to play with it. Bottled it on Friday and it already tasted great!

Hah, what do you know, simple math proved useful here. Yah, I had a brain fart and forgot some stuff I learned in middle school. Tnx though. Ill figure it out. Ill probably just leave out a pinch of hops here and there and see what happens.

My ibu's were lower than I expected so maybe stick with the 6gal hop schedule. I'll probably do that next time.

I think I did my normal 5.5gal batch size and with all the hop additions, plus now with with all those dry hops in there I think I'll be lucky if I get 4 gallons in the keg. I lost a lot of wort when transferring to my fermenter, used loose leaf hops without a hop spider or a bag of any kind so it was a pita siphoning my wort. Now I just need to empty a keg so I can get it carbbed up! Been dry hopping for 10 days now starting to get nervous!!

Back