Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Manifold / False bottom

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Manifold / False bottom

as i'm getting close to finishing up my orders/purchases for my AG setup, i am looking to making/buying a manifold of some sort for my 10gal igloo cooler.. i'm planning on doing batch sparging (at least for the foreseeable future) and had heard that a braid/manifold is a better setup than a FB (i forget where) so i am mostly debating between a SS braid or somesort of homemade mainifold..

i know its been talked to death but for this type of cooler do many of you have strong preferences on what to use for batch sparging? i kinda like the cpvc design on jmo88's MT:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mani...sh-tun-175247/

though i wasn't sure if it was really worth the effort as opposed to a nice heavy duty bazooka screen.. thoughts on your experieces?

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: Apfelwein, Nugget Nectar, Brinner, Sticky Red, Smoked IPA
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone | Keg 2: Brinner | Keg 3: Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I first used a braid and tossed it after about 5 batches. It just wasn't consistent. I made a copper manifold and am going to keep it.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've been using and really my perforated stainless false bottoms http://www.midwestsupplies.com/12-st...se-bottom.html. Connect it to the barb fitting on your bulkhead with a piece of high-temp silicon and you're good to go.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
BendBrewer
Recipes 

I use the manifold in my MLT and that FB in my kettle. I often think that I could swap the 2 and not change a thing in the final beer.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
I first used a braid and tossed it after about 5 batches. It just wasn't consistent. I made a copper manifold and am going to keep it.
What wasn't consistent about it?

RE: JMO's design - The bend in that CPVC is key, otherwise it will be difficult to get the rest of the manifold to lay flat.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
What wasn't consistent about it?
The efficiency.

Those braids stretch and crush and float and sink. The bazooka screens might be a little better than the braid but you can't really suck your MLT dry with them.

Most people don't care though and almost always go with a braid or screen at first. Look at most peoples' systems that have been doing it awhile though and you'll see false bottoms and manifolds.

It just depends on how many times you want to redo something.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
krenshaw

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 28

any pros/cons to certain materials.. i could make a manifold out of copper or cpvc, though i think the cpvc with slits would hold up better in the long just for it still looking like new and cleaning up better..

bendbrewer, i can see how you would maybe get a better suck out of the bottom with a manifold with only holes on the bottom for a better suction..

gridlocked, i love your avatar.. my daughter is 2 1/2 so she may be a little big for that even on the ground.. though she may fit nicely in my keggle for a photo op :-)

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: Apfelwein, Nugget Nectar, Brinner, Sticky Red, Smoked IPA
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone | Keg 2: Brinner | Keg 3: Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

This is good to read. I'm building an MLT this week and now I'm not sure whether to go with the braid or a false bottom. I'm still leaning towards the braid (due to monetary issues) and I'm fine with trying it out and seeing for myself what the capabilities are.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
though i think the cpvc with slits would hold up better in the long just for it still looking like new and cleaning up better..
The copper looks brand spanking new and polished after the mash. Dump the grains, rinse with hot water and you are done. I didn't solder the pieces together. I assemble it every time. It's a piece of cake. But I don't see why a cpvc one wouldn't be just as simple and effective.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
This is good to read. I'm building an MLT this week and now I'm not sure whether to go with the braid or a false bottom. I'm still leaning towards the braid (due to monetary issues) and I'm fine with trying it out and seeing for myself what the capabilities are.
Don't forget about the manifold option. That's about the same price as a braid or Bazooka screen.