National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Regulator hissing from small hole?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1213 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Regulator hissing from small hole?

After a ton of drama getting my all-used kegging setup, I finally got my tank filled and attached this micromatic regular. I turn the bottle on, set the secondary to 10psi and then closed off the output ball valve and gas just continuously hisses out of this little 1/8" hole in the front of the regulator. I've looked at some pics and all regs have this hole, but what's going on exactly?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like the diaphragm (sp?) may be working improperly. I had a similar problem. I disconnected everything and took the regulator apart, reseated things, and then re-assembled. Now it works like a champ. Certainly worth a shot before buying a new one.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Ok, I opened the front housing. Now, I see the diaphragm and it has a small hole in the center of it, maybe about 1/16"and it looks like that little needle valve made the hole. Is there supposed to be any holes in the diaphragm or what? I bought it on ebay so anything is possible.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I had a similar problem when adjusting my regulator. The diaphragm got stuck and I was getting air hissing through a small hole. I didn't take it all apart, but after adjusting it back and forth a few times it eventually unstuck itself and has worked fine since then.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I took this damn thing apart and reassembled like 15 times and nothing stops it. I tried putting a little keg lube on the diaphragm where it seals to the housing. Nothing. There doesn't appear to be any pinholes in it, exept for the one in the center which I've come to find is supposed to be there.