Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First wort goes down the drain

Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
nmcjudo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First wort goes down the drain

I met my temps close to where I needed them, my mash tun did not get stuck, drained into my kettle. All ready for the boil, had hops ready, and my fryer would not light. And here's the kicker, I tested it before I started my brew and it worked fine. I have a Saf-T turkey fryer with an electric ignition. Whenever I would light the burner, the electric ignition would shut the gas off and make a high pitched beeping noise. The booklet with the fryer only mentions this once and says to wait 5 minutes and attempt to light it again. After over an hour of messing with it, my wort just sitting in the kettle, I made the decision to give up. I could have put my kettle on the stove but my stove sucks. It would have taken forever just to get it to the boil and I had homework to do. This really sucks. I have lost motivation to brew.....

Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
shanecb
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just sounds like a case of bad luck. Don't quit homebrewing just because of it!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
ezzieyguywuf
Recipes 

I'm a little new to this, but I feel like you could have let it sit in the kettle, covered, until you were ready to try again (or got a new burner). A few days or something.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does that style of burner prevent you from using a manual light to ignite the flame?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
nmcjudo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Does that style of burner prevent you from using a manual light to ignite the flame?

No. It offers a manual option and that is the option I was using. The auto option is supposed to light itself but it was not working. I had the burner up and running after I mashed in. I turned it off including the gas and went to go use it an hour later and it would not work. The electric system would kill the gas flow about 10 seconds after I had it lit.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
astropunk
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd rip that electrical crap outta there pronto! And get yourself a decent manual turn regulator.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropunk View Post
I'd rip that electrical crap outta there pronto! And get yourself a decent manual turn regulator.
This! The thought of dumping it before it even got started just sucks... You're going to try again, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
nmcjudo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropunk View Post
Tried it. It doesn't work without the electirc system connected. The regulator is manual. The only reason the electric system is on there is because it offers an auto option for cooking a turkey. It keeps the temp at a steady 300 and whatever degrees.