Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Weighing down dry hop bag

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #31
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I use a stainless steel mounting bracket that came with my therminator. But on my last batch a ton of hop particles escaped through the tiny hole where the hop bag ties closed.
I would tie it off with some sanitized butchers twine before placing into the fermenter... That's just my take on it... Reduces the chance of something like that happening, or happening again.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #32
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I would tie it off with some sanitized butchers twine before placing into the fermenter... That's just my take on it... Reduces the chance of something like that happening, or happening again.
It WAS tied off. But there was still a little tiny hole there where the material bunched up.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #33
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
It WAS tied off. But there was still a little tiny hole there where the material bunched up.
Not talking about just the draw string that the bag has already. Talking about tying with butchers twine, below where it's closed via the draw string... IF you tied that way, I can't see there being any gap for anything to get through... Use surgeon's knots to make sure they don't come lose on their own...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #34
payton34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

if you ferment in a bucket a shot glass works. thats what i use in the boil. it is plenty heavy and it is easy to clean, just pop it in the dishwasher

Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #35
RogueGoose85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I dry hopped for the first time last night. I just tossed the pellets in freely. From what Ive read here (and teh dozens of other threads about this topic), seems like the thing to do. Ill use a filter on the nozzle once i syphon.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
BigSumpin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

H.D. sells stainless steel chain link by the foot...works great for the 18 in. nylon dry-hop bags. I like whole hops.
Just run it the legnth of the bag , tie the bag towards the top of the chain then use fish line/string to tie to the outside of the carboy neck.

After sanitizing it all, of course.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #37
ArcticBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

After hearing a few horror stories of various metal items rusting, I usually just toss a (sanitized) shot glass in and seems to do the job.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #38
Brewcycle69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Last couple of times I dry hopped I had 10 of the very strong magnets, I put 5 in a baggie in with my hops, the other 5 I used on the outside of my plastic fermentation bucket. The attraction was strong enough I could use the outside magnets to slowly pull the hop bag to the bottom of the fermenter and keep it there. After a couple of days I was able to move the hop bag around in the bucket; not sure that made any difference just wanted to see if the magnetic attraction was strong enough to do it. Not sure this would work for anything other than a plastic bucket but it keep my hops submerged in my fermenter.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
BigSumpin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Was your finished brew very attractive ?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #40
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcycle69 View Post
Last couple of times I dry hopped I had 10 of the very strong magnets, I put 5 in a baggie in with my hops, the other 5 I used on the outside of my plastic fermentation bucket. The attraction was strong enough I could use the outside magnets to slowly pull the hop bag to the bottom of the fermenter and keep it there. After a couple of days I was able to move the hop bag around in the bucket; not sure that made any difference just wanted to see if the magnetic attraction was strong enough to do it. Not sure this would work for anything other than a plastic bucket but it keep my hops submerged in my fermenter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSumpin View Post
Was your finished brew very attractive ?
Ha!!!!