Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Adding yeast??

Old 02-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
pete1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding yeast??

I have just finished bottling my first batch of beer. I secondary fermented it and it tasted like flat beer after about 3 weeks in secondary so I bottled it.
Now this is where I think I screwed up!! My buddy gave me some carb pills it said 4 to a 12 ounce bottle so I put them in. It has been 3 weeks since bottling and I still see a small portion of the carb pills in the bottom of the bottles. How long does it take to dissolve, or should I not use carb pills?

Thanks all

Old 02-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Why does your title ask about adding yeast when you mention cab pills in the posts? I'm a lttle confused.

A lot of folks hate carb tabs for that very reason since they don't necessarilly dissolve all that easily often.

I would give each bottle a got swirl, or hand flip to shake the sugar up a bit and dissolve the pill. Then if you're storing them above 70 check them in another week or 2 they should be fine then.

Typically it is rare you need to add yeast at bottling time, unless it's been about a year in secondary or it is a high grav beer. Otherwise there is plenty of yeast carried over at bottling to do the job.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 529 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Get yourself a bottling bucket and some priming sugar next time. Makes things much simpler than trying to prime each bottle with carb tabs.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
pete1983
Recipes 

Sorry for not responding I haven't had time to get on to the forum till recently. Thanks for your suggestions REVVY and ChshreCat, I was actually asking if I needed to add a little yeast before I bottled because the carb tabs didn't dissolve. It turned out to be decent for the first time beer but a little flat! The second batch was darn near perfect using the priming sugar in the bucket.

Thanks again for the help,
Pete