Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling question/ sugar

Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
dgremark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Bottling question/ sugar

There was a video on youtube about putting sugar (1/4 to 1/2 tbsp) per bottle instead of boiling the sugar in water and adding it to the beer. What are the pros/cons of this method?

TIA

Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you accidentally add too much sugar to the bottles you get bottle bombs. On the other hand, this may be a good way to prime just a few bottles of beer if you plan on kegging most of it. In this case though I would just buy carb tabs and drop them in. Best way is to mix a boiled sugar solution to the whole five gallon batch if you plan on bottling the whole thing.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Like trevorc said. For a couple of bottles, add the sugar. For an entire 5 gallon batch it is easier, faster, and less of a mess just to prime the entire batch and bottle.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
joeguy07
Recipes 

I like to add the sugar water solution straight into the 5 gallon batch. It saves time and gives the beer a uniform priming.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

It's more precise to bulk prime with a bottling bucket and boiling your solution.. PLUS you are insuring that your sugar is sterile by boiling it.There's a lot of good info to help your bottling here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
BrknRun8
Recipes 

Mr Beer suggests bottling that way, but I found some of the bottles would be over carbed or under...sometimes I think I was putting "heaping" measurements, sometimes level and sometimes just under. I used the carb tabs on my last batch of Mr. Beer, but when I bottle my first batch of Brewer's Best I'm going to boil the sugar and add it into the beer. It makes sense that it would be much more uniform.