Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do i even need a manifold?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
giono2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do i even need a manifold?

I just picked up a Coleman Xtreme with the drain located down in a recessed channel and was wondering if i even need a manifold? I am thinking of a metal plate or mesh screen over the tunnel rather than the manifold, and I plan to batch sparge. I feel like i have just defined a false bottom. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I have a section of stainless steel braid in that cooler, couldn't work any better for batch sparging. Just weight down the other end of the braid so it doesn't float (I used a close nipple, an endcap, and a SS hose clamp).

I thought, too, about getting a piece of perforated SS (flat) to lie across the channel, but the braid works so well (and only costs $7) that I'm going to stick with that. If you want to go with perforated SS, check out onlinemetals.com; they have lots of materials like that.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I think this is one of the great advantages of batch sparging. In fly sparging, one must guard against channeling--drainage paths that keep some parts of the grainbed from being sufficiently sparged.

In batch sparging, it's really not such a concern: you release the sugars into solution before you start draining the tun.

I use a cpvc manifold, which is another good cheap solution.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale