Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - a nice dry easy drinking stout!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
stevedasleeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default All-Grain - a nice dry easy drinking stout!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 65
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 29-30
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 25 days at 68 f
Tasting Notes: Easy drinking, dry not too bitter or too roasty - just right!

9 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs flaked barley
14 oz black barley (Briess)
4 oz oat malt

58 g Sorachi Ace 60 mins (10.9% AA)

Mashed at 150 for 2 hours

-- Very easy recipe, and exactly what I was hoping for. A 5.9% ABV dry Irishish stout for St. Paddy's day... if it lasts that long! I am not a fan of sweet, thick, chocolaty, roasty stouts. I like an easy drinking dry stout maybe slightly bigger than Guiness. This is it man! Oh and I used Sorachi Ace simply because I have quite a bit and it is a smooth bittering hop. I use Tinseth and this is supposedly 65 IBUs, though it does not taste that bitter.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Serve people a hoppy home brew and they are amazed - fresh beer with hop aroma that hasn't faded is an easy way to impress people with you beer making chops right!? But last night, with 50+ people drinking my beer I ran out of this stout and the clamoring was shrill. To wit they *loved* this stout!

Folks likely to like stout said they loved it, folks trying it to be polite tasted it and loved it, folks looking for something less "bitter" - my other beers were a very hoppy amber and a strong Simcoe/Cascade IPA - loved this stout.

FWIW!

Oh and so far as the bitterness goes, after I plugged in the hop age and likely bitterness fall off it came out to 44 IBUs which is pretty much in line with my taste buds.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
MCKemp
Recipes 

I have a ton of Sorachi (warrior and perle as well), and have been wanting to do a black IPA. Do you think roasted malt would overwhelm the hops? And do you think it would be better left at just Sorachi or would it benefit from a Chinook bittering? Maybe perle and a lot of sorachi at the end of boil?