Irish Stout a nice dry easy drinking stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
29-30
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 days at 68 f
Tasting Notes
Easy drinking, dry not too bitter or too roasty - just right!
9 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs flaked barley
14 oz black barley (Briess)
4 oz oat malt

58 g Sorachi Ace 60 mins (10.9% AA)

Mashed at 150 for 2 hours

-- Very easy recipe, and exactly what I was hoping for. A 5.9% ABV dry Irishish stout for St. Paddy's day... if it lasts that long! I am not a fan of sweet, thick, chocolaty, roasty stouts. I like an easy drinking dry stout maybe slightly bigger than Guiness. This is it man! Oh and I used Sorachi Ace simply because I have quite a bit and it is a smooth bittering hop. I use Tinseth and this is supposedly 65 IBUs, though it does not taste that bitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serve people a hoppy home brew and they are amazed - fresh beer with hop aroma that hasn't faded is an easy way to impress people with you beer making chops right!? But last night, with 50+ people drinking my beer I ran out of this stout and the clamoring was shrill. To wit they *loved* this stout!

Folks likely to like stout said they loved it, folks trying it to be polite tasted it and loved it, folks looking for something less "bitter" - my other beers were a very hoppy amber and a strong Simcoe/Cascade IPA - loved this stout.

FWIW!

Oh and so far as the bitterness goes, after I plugged in the hop age and likely bitterness fall off it came out to 44 IBUs which is pretty much in line with my taste buds.

I have a ton of Sorachi (warrior and perle as well), and have been wanting to do a black IPA. Do you think roasted malt would overwhelm the hops? And do you think it would be better left at just Sorachi or would it benefit from a Chinook bittering? Maybe perle and a lot of sorachi at the end of boil?

Did this with cascade and cluster (one oz of each) and it smelled great putting it into the carboy.

Latest posts

Back