Adding Peanut Butter Vodka to Imperial Stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Peanut Butter Vodka to Imperial Stout

Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
ctclarke87
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Wilmington, Delaware

I am about to transfer my extract kit-made imperial stout to my secondary and want to try something original! I'm fortunate enough to live about 90 minutes from Dogfish Head in Rehoboth Beach DE. I have bottle of the peanut butter vodka they make and thought it would be a nice addition to a stout. Looking for subtle peanut butter flavor but not trying to showcase it. How much should I add to a five gallon batch and is there anything I need to watch out for (alcohol levels w/ yeast for bottling etc.)?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Downingtown, PA
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

How strong is the PB taste?
You can make you own flavoring extracts by soaking whatever (vanilla, spices, nuts, etc.) in about 4 ounces of vodka for a couple of weeks. Then add the vodka to 5 gallons.

I'm just not sure how much PB taste you'll get, especially in a Imp stout.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
ctclarke87
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Wilmington, Delaware

It has a pretty strong flavor and if you open the bottle and sniff it you may as well be smelling a bottle of skippy, it's great! Thanks for the tip on other flavors also. If you think the peanut butter flavor will have a lot to compete against in the stout should I up the amount? Is there an upper limit (like a cup) that I should observe? Thanks!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Downingtown, PA
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

You can flavor to taste-in the bottling bucket.
add a shot or two with the priming sugar, and rack the beer into the bucket.
Give it a taste and if you need more flavor, add a shot or two and gently stir it in.
Repeat as needed.

As far as how much is too much, I'm not sure.
I'd think with a cup, you should be fine in 5 gallons.

To be safe, add a cup, and bottle half (24 bottles).
Then if you want more flavor, add half a cup to the rest.
(or 4 ozs, bottle two sixes, add 4 more ozs, bottle the remaining two sixes).
Mark the bottles, so if the last ones bottled are flat and taste like vodka, you'll know next time.