Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Mash Tun and Fermentor Shape

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
TastySalmon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun and Fermentor Shape

I'm in the process of designing my own RIMS system. I want to fabricate most of my equipment to save money since I have access to a welder, plasma cutter and cutting torch.

My question is this: I want to build a mash tun that has the ability to hold enough grains to do batches of beer up to 30 gallons. I realize that a cube is possible for a mash tun, but does anyone know what it does for efficiency? I assume the shallower the better possibly? I don't want to use old kegs and I don't want to buy larger pre-made SS containers when I can buy SS sheets for pennies on the dollar for what pre-made containers would be.

Also, has anyone ever made fermentors in a cube shape? Obviously I ask this because last time I checked it wasn't cheap having sheets of SS being bent into semicircles. I realize that cleanliness might be an issue.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The efficiency of the mash tun is based upon the shape of the manifold versus the shape of the tun. So a square tun will work fine, so long as there is a square manifold. A search on here will show several ways to design an efficient manifold.

You can ferment in anything, but I believe the reason people stay away from square shapes is because of the added number of corners. Corners = harder to sanitize. Gunk can collect in there and nasties can hide. Good clean welds followed by good sanitizing practices will alleviate this though.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1206 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The reason most tanks are cylinders is because they can be thinner walled. Square tanks have a long of pressure at the long sides. Same reason you don't many square above ground pools.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Oh yeah, and there is the physics too ;-)