Brewing Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamplawn

Reaction score
Hey guys question about brewing water! Ive heard different things. Most tap water is chlorinated and whats the best way to get good brewing water from the tap? I live in Nashville. I have been told if you let yyour water sit out then alot of chlorine will dissipate.... Iv heard there are supplements you can add... and ive heard charcoal filters!

Suggestions would be awesome!

When I first started I used my tap water treated with Camphen tabs to get ride of the Chlorine/Chloromine. 1 tab treats 20 gallons and its cheap.

Eventually I picked up a carbon fitler, but still use the Camphen as I am un sure it gets it all. Finally got a mineral report and realized I need to add some stuff.

But back on point tap is fine when you start out. Everyone enjoy my fisrt 8 batch before I started tweaking the water. See if you water company posts anything online. If not call. They'll mail it or e-mail to you. If you have well, well then that's a different beast.

Hey guys question about brewing water! Ive heard different things. Most tap water is chlorinated and whats the best way to get good brewing water from the tap? I live in Nashville. I have been told if you let yyour water sit out then alot of chlorine will dissipate.... Iv heard there are supplements you can add... and ive heard charcoal filters!

Suggestions would be awesome!

Any sediment/carbon tap water filter will make a huge improvement. I've used one of the Pur 2 stage faucet filters it was relatively cheap and works well.

Clone Farmer! Thanks, I wasnt sure if one of he cheapo Pur filters would do the trick.... as far as the the Camphen tablets How much to they run? when do you add these right at the beginning? Ive upgraded to an all stainless Keg system and wan to get his water thing right!

Go to your local home depot or lowes and get yourself an inline carbon filter made For an ice machine works great

I grew up on hard well water softened with a water softener, so after moving into an area where there is municipal water supply, I noticed the difference immediately. I still cannot stand the taste of the municipal water. I don't drink if I'm thirsty.

I run my water through a 1 gallon Brita filter (thats all I have at the moment). The taste improves about 85%. I think if the water tastes good, it is good for brewing in terms of off favors.

If you are going for a clone and you want the water to be that of something like Czech or Germany or Belgium, then treating the water to your needs would be how you would want to do it.

As far as water, if you can make it taste good, I think it is fine for brewing.

If you have areas of spring water from a mountainside or something that is constantly flowing, I have heard of it adding a unique falvor to beer as well. I have no problem finding that here in Alaska, but in Tenessee, not sure :confused:

Back