Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Partial Mash Calculation Questions

Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
OldSoulBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Partial Mash Calculation Questions

Hello everybody! This site has been a much appreciated place to search for knowledge on this new obsessions of mine, home brewing. I got the Mr. Beer kit for x-mas, and quickly learned that dumping little cans of Mr. Beer LME into a tub was not exciting enough to continue doing. I have slowly began adding more fresh ingredients with partial-mash recipes and such. This next batch I am going to be doing with DME, grain, and hops (first time with a blank canvas I guess you would say). My biggest question is concerning amounts of DME and grain, specifically amounts of individual grains. Total I will be using 3# of DME, and close to 1# steeping grains for my 2.5 gallon batch. When I purchased the grains, I made note of the %'s that each grain should be used in a batch. So long story short, heres the question.......
If a grain has a usage of 2-5%, does this grain need to stay less than 5% of my steeping grains, or 5% of my total (DME+grains)?

0.5# light DME
1.5# amber DME
1.0# dark DME

0.25# carapils malt 60L
1/6# midnight malt
0.5# caramel malt 60L

1.0 oz perle hops
- 1/2 oz. @ 60 min.
- 1/4 oz. @ 30 min.
- 1/4 oz. @ 30 min.

Any suggestions to amounts of each ingredient from experienced brewers is greatly appreciated or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
downinit
Recipes 

Quote:
If a grain has a usage of 2-5%, does this grain need to stay less than 5% of my steeping grains, or 5% of my total (DME+grains)?
5% of the total DME+grains.

What yeast are you planning to use?

Pale Ale

Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
OldSoulBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Havent picked one out yet, I am open for suggestions. Being so new to everything I am not completely familiar with different results from different strains.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
downinit
Recipes 

What type of beer are you shooting for? Porter, American Dark Ale?

Can't go wrong with Safale US-05, a dry yeast, easy to pitch, just sprinkle it into the MrBeer keg on top of the cooled wort. Yeast choice is one of the biggest factors in how a beer tastes so it would be a great idea to read up on it.
Pale Ale

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
OldSoulBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was going for a porter. As far as my recipe, any suggestions about changes to be made etc? Like most things, I have jumped into a new hobby and I am learning from mistakes. I have found with making beer that good brewing is something learned from both mistakes made, and good additions to new brews (a long process).

Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
downinit
Recipes 

How To Brew by John Palmer ...
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-4-1.html is a great start on learning the different strains.
Pale Ale

Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
downinit
Recipes 

Your recipe hits the mark for a robust porter according to BeerToolsPro and it looks good to me.
Pale Ale

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
OldSoulBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate all your input. I am getting tired of drinking my thin, booster-filled Mr. Beer brews, so I am hoping this one works out as planned. Im thinking 10-14 days primary, then move to a secondary, or maybe bottle after 3 weeks in the primary.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
downinit
Recipes 

bottling after 3 weeks in the primary would be my choice. Moving beer to a secondary increases the chances for oxidation.

Pale Ale