Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All grain brainstorm

Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default First All grain brainstorm

So after finishing my third extract batch I couldn't resist upgrading to all grain. Bought a 7 gal kettle, a burner, fashioned a fancy mash-tun. But I may hold out on the wort chiller for a little while longer if its not 100% necessary.
So all this being said, I want to start pretty big. I'm thinking some kind of really dark stout, but reasonably priced(40 or less). What options do I have? Sweet stout.....but beyond that one idk. I kinda want something middle of the road in intensity seeing as how my last two beers were sweet(blond honey ale and a blue moon clone) My experience with tasting stuff is really limited so Idk where to start. but I suppose it doesn't matter. I started out not liking bitter beer and my first batch has 4oz of hops <_< now I love the fruity flowery awesomeness. My only thing is I don't want anything with milk or fruit for this one.(porters also sound tempting)
I'd like to make something I can show off though. My first batch(sierra Nevada clone) was great for me, but the crowd hates it( I know not my problem but I feed off compliments and I need help drinking these kegs =P)

Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 46

You could do a dry irish stout (like a guinness) or a robust porter, those aren't too big in price but should satisfy your yearning for a dark roastier beer.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
My only thing is I don't want anything with milk or fruit for this one.
Milk stouts do not contain milk, if that is what your are thinking.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A robust porter is probably what you are describing. Especially, the American type.

Batch cost savings really come from buying hops in bulk and yeast harvesting. If money is an issue (and of course it is), then look into those two things. Grains can be had for $15-$20 (you can lower this to $10-$15 with bulk buys but that can wait as it will take >10 batches to realize the savings from buying a grain mill). Saving $4-7 on hops per batch and $6 for a smack pack really add up. If you mail order, try the places with flat shipping charges and order two (or more) batches at a time. Crushed grain will keep in a fridge for weeks.

If you can return the 7 gal. pot and get a 10 gal. pot, you will have less stress. Otherwise, you will have to collect 6 gal, boil it to 4.5, and add 1 gal of water at pitching time. That is perfectly fine, but if you can, collecting 7 gal. and not adding water is preferable. Plus, your hot break activity won't be right at the rim.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

The pot is 7.5gallons actually. 2 gallons of boil room(5 gallon pot) was more than enough for my 3 gallon partials so I figured 1.5 gallons in space wont be a noticeable difference. I've never suffered a boil over with that amount of space. I already freeze my yeasties and order multiple kits at a time at Austin home brew. Though the bulk hops will eventually become priority, I'm pretty content with my kits until I get a healthy handle on the finer aspects of all grain.
I went to the liquor store(sells single beers) and tired EVERYTHING they had last night. I really enjoyed the oatmeal stout I got so I may give that a shot, also the new Belgium 1554 Im sipping on now is damn good. Oh, and I got a dogfish head continuously hopped IPA...new favorite beer.

And yea I know they don't use milk idk why I said that, but they do contain lactose do they not? I'm not intolerant, just looking to start with something a little more classic I suppose.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So you haven't done a full boil yet in your new pot? You might want to try that before going full all grain - you might shift your priorities to a wort chiller. Cooling twice as much liquid as you've been boiling is not very fun.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a big fan or brewing foreign export stouts. The recipe in Brewing Classic Styles makes a fantastic beer.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

yea, its a real downer now. But I figure if it comes down to it an all grain setup is more important than a cooler

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Skip the chiller... Just set it in a cool place with the lid on and come back in the morning. All that time settling makes a pretty trub-free fermenter, as well. That makes harvesting yeast much easier, not having to wash it. First next buy should be a mill. Get a Corona type and you'll be thrilled with the results. Don't let the roller mill crowd tell you they suck... They honestly have no clue.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

yea, Ive been looking at mills bc having to order all premilled stuff makes me sad =P