Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > KegCowboy kettle valve, DIY drain tube?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
AleJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default KegCowboy kettle valve, DIY drain tube?

Picking up a keg this weekend to make a boil kettle. Looking around at drain valves, they seem reasonable priced but saw the drain tube at bargainfittings and for $13 I'm thinking I can DIY for a lot less.

Will a compression fitting work with the standard fitting on the bulkhead fitting? What pieces would be needed to do this?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleJoe View Post
Picking up a keg this weekend to make a boil kettle. Looking around at drain valves, they seem reasonable priced but saw the drain tube at bargainfittings and for $13 I'm thinking I can DIY for a lot less.

Will a compression fitting work with the standard fitting on the bulkhead fitting? What pieces would be needed to do this?
I assume this is what you were talking about. It looks as though he used a standard 1/2" copper sweat to NTP fitting (About $0.80 at the hardware store) and a few inches of 1/2" soft copper (less than a buck) and put the two together. The fitting on the tube will work fine with any 1/2" bulkhead weldless set up you can get. You can build these things for a lot less than $13 bucks (plus shipping)...

If you don't know how to sweat copper, there are many here who can help get you started... also.... there IS youtube... good luck!
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
AleJoe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

awesome, thanks. I usually just need help with the name of what I'm looking for and then can figure it out from there