I Am A "Mean, Terrible Person!" - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I Am A "Mean, Terrible Person!"

Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
kjung

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yesterday, after SWMBO, her daughter (19) and I looked out the windows (those that we could see out of!) at the results of the blizzard, SWMBO and I headed outside and started digging out our driveway, during which time, her daughter stayed in. Three-and-a-half hours later, as we limped back into the house, I looked for her daughter. It seems that as soon as we went outside, she decided to LAY DOWN ON THE COUCH AND GO BACK TO SLEEP.
Fast forward to this morning, and she's pestering the crap out of me for a ride to her b/f's house. The following conversation took place:
Her-"Will you please drive me over there now? I haven't seen him in three days!"
Me-"No. I'm making one run today, and you'll have to wait. You're lucky that I'm giving you a ride at all, after yesterday."
"Why??? What did I do?"
"Nothing. THAT'S the problem!"
"Huh? What do you mean?"
I went into the whole thing about her going back to sleep while her mother and I busted our asses off, and as a result, could barely move last night.
"I wasn't going out there yesterday! I hate the snow!"
I then explained, remaining as calm as I could, that her mother (In her early 40's) has a bad back and is facing major surgery, and I (50 on my next b-day) with a bad knee, shoulder AND back, were out there, and there was no reason that she couldn't be out there helping. I then told her that we do all sorts of things for her, including going out of our way to give them rides (neither of them drive), and this is how she thanks us? I told her that I'm done, she does NOTHING to help around the house, and that from now on she only gets rides from me when it's on my way.
Her reaction?..."You're mean! That's terrible! That's SO not fair!!!"

Now she's laying on the couch, pouting and texting her b/f. I'm here, laughing at her.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts

Hopefully, SWMBO supports your position.

I do.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
sprocketmaker

Recipes 

May 2010
Milford, CT

You cruel bastard!
seems like we need to go to extremes to get thru to these kids... I actually started shoveling the snow on top of my daughters car... till she got the clue and now helps clear the driveway, not just her car.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts

that'll happen. if it's any consolation, my daughters didn't help either. but they're 3 and 1. lol

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 497 Times on 340 Posts

She's frickin 19? Get a job!!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Marengo, Illinois
Liked 324 Times on 183 Posts

I most definitely concur! After raising FOUR daughters...you are 100% spot-on!

glenn514

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Danbreeze

Recipes 

Jan 2010
1st State
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I dont have kids as of yet, but I am thankful my parents had a "tough love" approach as well in parenting me.

"Dont want to eat dinner? Then dont eat at all."

"Dont feel like doing chores? Dont leave the house until you do" (This was of course before cell phones and computers)

Proud member of the Shat in my Pants Brew Club
(ok, I made that one up)

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Jenks829
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Horsham, Pa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketmaker View Post
... I actually started shoveling the snow on top of my daughters car... till she got the clue and now helps clear the driveway, not just her car.
Love it. I will be taking this page out of your book when the time comes

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Her-"Will you please drive me over there now? I haven't seen him in three days!"

You-"I'm not going out there today! I hate driving in the snow!"
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
tbel

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Rochester, mn
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's how it would go at my house. Fortunately I've always been that way with them so even my youngest @ 10yrs knows she helps out or gets nothing.