Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Potential new brewer needs help

Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
lpdean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Potential new brewer needs help

I am looking to possibly start homebrewing and wondered if it was worth all the time, money, and work. I am not a hardcore drinkiner by any means but do enjoy a good beer on occasion and feel that there would probably be some added pleasure in sitting back with a cold one of my "own". Maybe it is only because it is winter and I am penned up in the house but for some reason trying the homebrewing thing popped in my head. I was hoping for some guidance on weather or not to give it a shot and if so what type of equipment is best. Thanks, in advance for the help.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just look around, friend! Cheap, easy and soooo addicting! It is a blas to create recipes not available from the stores. Hard ciders, and lemonades, too. I never make a clone type beer, only stuff friends can't taste from stores. It is fun, to say the least. But be careful...there is no turning back....wuhaaahaahaa

Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have doubts you should hang with a brewer for a while to learn and sample before heading down a path of indestruction like we have...

Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about 2 months in and hopelessly addicted to brewing. Not for the beer, for the rewards of making your own beer.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought either the starter or Intermediate kit with Better Bottles:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...Cat=11166&fd=1

I'm always scared I'm going to break my glass carboys and I ordered a Better Bottle this week as my secondary after reading through the forum.

Good luck and cheers!
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Do you have a lot of friends that enjoy great beer? You might find happiness in sharing your hobby with them. Generally, it's not too hard to give away beer. I liken it to holding a good dinner party.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
texasgeorge

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't drink a whole lot of beer before I started homebrewing. I would buy the occasional 6-pack of Bass or Guinness, or SNPA, or something... depending on what I was in the mood for. I got into it as a hobby that I could tinker with and work with for the rest of my life. I had no idea all the fun and anxiety it can be sometimes, but it's fantastic.

As it is, I probably donate 1/2 of what I make to friends and family anyway.

But, I can honestly say with a straight face that I have a much better attitude and am a happier, more agreeable person since I began brewing. There's just something about it that makes ya feel good about yourself.
Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Definately give it a shot. You can get a starter kit for cheap, and be making great beers in no time at all.

Not going to lie to you, it does involve "work". Bottling day is a good example. But it is work with rewards. It will also give you a deeper appreciation for beer. Before I started homebrewing last July, I had tried a few microbrews and liked them, but never really payed attention to the complex flavors of a beer.

Brewing is alot like cooking, you follow a recipe or just come up with something on your own, and make it. Unless your batch goes bad for some reason (rare), you have a result that will most likely be pretty damn good, even if it wasn't exactly what you were shooting for.

Brewing beer is the ultimate hobby.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #8
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Not going to lie to you, it does involve "work". Bottling day is a good example. But it is work with rewards. It will also give you a deeper appreciation for beer. Before I started homebrewing last July, I had tried a few microbrews and liked them, but never really payed attention to the complex flavors of a beer.

Totally agree--before I started homebrewing I preferred English beers, but I couldn't really tell you the difference between a porter and a stout, or a bitter and a pale ale, or whatever. Now, I get way more pleasure from a single beer than I ever did from drinking til I couldn't stand up. It's almost like magic to see the weird, vaguely distressing stew-like gunk get transformed into really, really good beer. And I promise--it's easy to make a good batch, and a good batch of homebrew will blow the hell out of any beer you'll ever buy, period. I never knew beer could taste this good!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Willsellout

Recipes 

I spent 50 bucks for my first brew and really enjoyed it. Now I've got a couple hundred in and about to spend a couple hundred more to go all grain...it can be expensive, but it's fun and drinking something you made...there's nothing like it really!

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
RickWG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Do you have a lot of friends that enjoy great beer? You might find happiness in sharing your hobby with them. Generally, it's not too hard to give away beer. I liken it to holding a good dinner party.
Yeah, I'm only into my first batch, bottling this weekend, and i already have way way more friends than I did before. Lots and lots ob neighbors are giving me bottles.