Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
DanFoxwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing Hops

Hello! I am looking to grow hops this summer. Was wondering if anyone sold or knew a good place to buy hop rhizomes... I live in Southeastern Virginia... we have very hot summers here. Need heat resistant hops

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
rescuedogrr2010
Recipes 

Know that American brewmaster in Raleigh NC is taking preorders for rhizomes now and are expecting in store for pickup or quick out the door shipping by early march. Might be worth checking out their selection online or give them a call. Dont have any experience with hop rhizomes but AB is my LHBS and I've always been pleased with products/services.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in central Georgia and I have had luck with Cascades and Goldings in the past. I am going to plant a willamette and a chinook. I have found that climate really doesn't matter if you condition the soil and regulate your watering schedule. It is hot down here in the summer, really hot, so I have my plants in the sun for at most 7-8hrs a day and it keeps them from drying out in the heat. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm thinking about doing the same thing too this summer.. what do I need to know?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
growinghops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a list of online hop rhizome vendors (and tips on how to grow hops).
Where to buy hop rhizomes

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
dinertime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
I live in central Georgia and I have had luck with Cascades and Goldings in the past. I am going to plant a willamette and a chinook. I have found that climate really doesn't matter if you condition the soil and regulate your watering schedule. It is hot down here in the summer, really hot, so I have my plants in the sun for at most 7-8hrs a day and it keeps them from drying out in the heat. Hope this helps a bit.
How do you keep them in the sun for only a limited amount of time? Did you build a shade structure of some sort?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
bing09
Recipes 

I was on a different forum last week and stumbled upon someone who said you can get free rhizomes from the USDA. I checked it out and ordered four sets of rhizomes. I think think these are meant for research but why not try huh? I put for my reasoning that I was going to test the strains in the midwest climate (Iowa). We will see if they actually ship them out this spring.
Here is the conversation from another site:

It is a government website, and so is not exactly user friendly. You go the ARS Search Engine and click on "NPGS USA" "Full Text" and type in the search window marked "Identifier" and type "Humulus lupulus". After typing, click with your mouse the "OK" button. If you hit "ENTER" you will get an error message. It should pop up a new window with the search results. When you click on the accession code for a particular cultivar/variety, there should be a clickable text that says "request this germplasm". If you click this text it should bring you to the request form page. If you have any other problems let me know.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default USDA Direct Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing09 View Post

It is a government website, and so is not exactly user friendly. You go the ARS Search Engine and click on "NPGS USA" "Full Text" and type in the search window marked "Identifier" and type "Humulus lupulus". After typing, click with your mouse the "OK" button. If you hit "ENTER" you will get an error message. It should pop up a new window with the search results. When you click on the accession code for a particular cultivar/variety, there should be a clickable text that says "request this germplasm". If you click this text it should bring you to the request form page. If you have any other problems let me know.
It looks to me like you can simply paste the URL and others can click it, rather than navigate that site's search engine. I hope that helps.

bing, that site is pretty amazing. I wonder what the Kazahkistani hops are like... maybe good for a Kazahkistani Imperial Stout? Thanks for pointing us to that great resource!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just ordered a "germplasm" of Santiam hops... let's see what happens!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinertime View Post
How do you keep them in the sun for only a limited amount of time? Did you build a shade structure of some sort?
They are planted in line with a shade tree so they still get sunlight but are not in the direct heat of the GA sun for the whole day.