Growing Hops - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
DanFoxwell
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
WINDSOR, VA
Posts: 15


Hello! I am looking to grow hops this summer. Was wondering if anyone sold or knew a good place to buy hop rhizomes... I live in Southeastern Virginia... we have very hot summers here. Need heat resistant hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
rescuedogrr2010
 
rescuedogrr2010's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 23

Know that American brewmaster in Raleigh NC is taking preorders for rhizomes now and are expecting in store for pickup or quick out the door shipping by early march. Might be worth checking out their selection online or give them a call. Dont have any experience with hop rhizomes but AB is my LHBS and I've always been pleased with products/services.
__________________
PRIMARY: soon...Dusseldorf Altbier, Ordinary Bitter
SECONDAY: empty : (
KEGGED: 1. SMaSH ApA 2. Cream Ale 3. American Wheat/Rye

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
PurpleJeepXJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Acworth, Georgia
Posts: 583
Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts


I live in central Georgia and I have had luck with Cascades and Goldings in the past. I am going to plant a willamette and a chinook. I have found that climate really doesn't matter if you condition the soil and regulate your watering schedule. It is hot down here in the summer, really hot, so I have my plants in the sun for at most 7-8hrs a day and it keeps them from drying out in the heat. Hope this helps a bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
TheBroonery
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 373
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


I'm thinking about doing the same thing too this summer.. what do I need to know?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
growinghops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
growinghops's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Bloomington, Mn
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Here is a list of online hop rhizome vendors (and tips on how to grow hops).
Where to buy hop rhizomes

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
dinertime
 
dinertime's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
New York, NY
Posts: 76
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
I live in central Georgia and I have had luck with Cascades and Goldings in the past. I am going to plant a willamette and a chinook. I have found that climate really doesn't matter if you condition the soil and regulate your watering schedule. It is hot down here in the summer, really hot, so I have my plants in the sun for at most 7-8hrs a day and it keeps them from drying out in the heat. Hope this helps a bit.
How do you keep them in the sun for only a limited amount of time? Did you build a shade structure of some sort?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
bing09
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Bondurant, Iowa
Posts: 43

I was on a different forum last week and stumbled upon someone who said you can get free rhizomes from the USDA. I checked it out and ordered four sets of rhizomes. I think think these are meant for research but why not try huh? I put for my reasoning that I was going to test the strains in the midwest climate (Iowa). We will see if they actually ship them out this spring.
Here is the conversation from another site:


It is a government website, and so is not exactly user friendly. You go the ARS Search Engine and click on "NPGS USA" "Full Text" and type in the search window marked "Identifier" and type "Humulus lupulus". After typing, click with your mouse the "OK" button. If you hit "ENTER" you will get an error message. It should pop up a new window with the search results. When you click on the accession code for a particular cultivar/variety, there should be a clickable text that says "request this germplasm". If you click this text it should bring you to the request form page. If you have any other problems let me know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
alexdagrate
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Olympia, WA
Posts: 549
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bing09 View Post

It is a government website, and so is not exactly user friendly. You go the ARS Search Engine and click on "NPGS USA" "Full Text" and type in the search window marked "Identifier" and type "Humulus lupulus". After typing, click with your mouse the "OK" button. If you hit "ENTER" you will get an error message. It should pop up a new window with the search results. When you click on the accession code for a particular cultivar/variety, there should be a clickable text that says "request this germplasm". If you click this text it should bring you to the request form page. If you have any other problems let me know.
It looks to me like you can simply paste the URL and others can click it, rather than navigate that site's search engine. I hope that helps.

bing, that site is pretty amazing. I wonder what the Kazahkistani hops are like... maybe good for a Kazahkistani Imperial Stout? Thanks for pointing us to that great resource!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
alexdagrate
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Olympia, WA
Posts: 549
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Just ordered a "germplasm" of Santiam hops... let's see what happens!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
PurpleJeepXJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Acworth, Georgia
Posts: 583
Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinertime View Post
How do you keep them in the sun for only a limited amount of time? Did you build a shade structure of some sort?
They are planted in line with a shade tree so they still get sunlight but are not in the direct heat of the GA sun for the whole day.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is that growing on top? psyklopz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 12-06-2010 05:21 PM
Growing my own hops jdlev Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 11-29-2010 10:13 PM
unknown fresh hops growing monk420 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-25-2010 12:10 AM
My mom is growing me some hops taylornate Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-18-2009 08:03 AM
is it worth growing own hops? poison2003 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 04-11-2007 11:30 PM


Forum Jump