Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Homemade fermemtation water cooler. Anyone try this?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Homemade fermemtation water cooler. Anyone try this?

In the cold months I put my fermenters in a tub of water with an aquarium heater that kicks on to keep the fermenter warm. For the hot months I'm wondering if this would work... I have a thermostat that will kick on whatever I want at a certain temp but the sensor isn't water proof. I'm thinking of wrapping it in a larger ziplock and only letting the sensor part in the water so it doesn't get wet.

Anyway, on to the real question. I'm thinking I can hook the thermostat up to a cheap fish filter that will kick on and circulate the water through a hose that I will run through a cooler filled with ice and water.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? Aquarium coolers are very expensive and I already have everything I would need for this.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
gromitdj
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are thinking something along the lines of This Fermentation Chiller, correct.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitdj
You are thinking something along the lines of This Fermentation Chiller, correct.
I wasn't going to transfer water from 1 cooler to the other, I was just going to recirculate the same from the original tub. It would run through a hose that I would route through an ice bath along the way. Does anyone think this would work; would the water get cold enough this way?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Schwind
Recipes 

Seems like it would work to me but I don't have all the parts and pieces laid out in front of me.
For the sensor. You could use an old white labs vial with a hole drilled in the top. Silicone it up and you have a water proof sensor.
That's my only contribution. Sorry it doesn't answer your question.
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Kegged: Barleywine, Lawn Chair Pilz