Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is a Heating Stirplate Worthwhile?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is a Heating Stirplate Worthwhile?

I am thinking of buying a stirplate off Ebay. I can find heating stirplates available easy enough. Are they worthwhile? Can you use the heating to boil a starter? And if you do use one to boil will it cool fast enough to use as a stirplate after the starter is chilled?

Not a big deal, but I've been thinking about replacing my homemade stirplate anyway. So figure I'll get a more useful one while I'm at it. But no point in paying for a heated stirplate if it won't help with my starters.

Anybody have one to sell?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/

Recipes 

Liked 1404 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Most heating stir plates are intended to get you up to about 80F or so, so they definitely wouldn't boil. That's a bit hot for a starter...probably better to be about 70F. If you can get that from the ambient temperature in your house, no need for the heater. If you can't, it would be useful.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks. I doubt I'd ever need the heatplate for anything other than the boil.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
GreenMtBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use a Corning combo stiplate/hotplate, and I have found it works great for making starters. I typically make larger starters too - some even as large as 4000 mL. I typically bring my dechlorinated water to a boil in a pot on the stove, add the DME to my 5000-mL flask and add the boiling water to the flask. Then I allow the hotplate to bring the mixture to a boil, using the stir function to mix.

I also typically use an antifoam agent. After cooling - which I do by submerging the flask in an ice bath - I place the flask back on the plate for stirring. I have never had any difficulties with the combo plate still being too hot to put the flask on it. I have enjoyed making starters this way.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Do you know the rating of the heat element? Some I looked at had what seemed like pretty high ratings, but I don't know.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
GreenMtBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The Corning I have is Model PC-320. It is rated at 575 Watts. It does take a while to bring a larger wort volume to a boil, but I have never found it to be a problem. This one is a bit pricey, but it is the model I own:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304652