Pitching on a yeast cake? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching on a yeast cake?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
FishH2o
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Oldsmar, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I have a brown ALE that fermented out very nicely. I'm going to let it sit on the yeast cake for another week 4 weeks total. The OG was 1.065 and the FG 1.014 the numbers may be off just a little... Now to my question I am going to bottle this next Saturday and I was thinking of brewing this same batch Saturday too since I like it so much. If I timing, my cooling, and bottling are just right can I pitch this right on top of the same cake in the same Carboy or should I use a new Carboy. Would the trub and old hops etc. Cause any issues.

Thanks,
FishH2o

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
JNye
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Lansing, IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I would. usually I bottle the night before brewday and then put the carboy/cake in the fridge for tommorrow. Depending on the beers differences I might wash the yeast, in your case, no.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
FishH2o
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Oldsmar, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye
I would. usually I bottle the night before brewday and then put the carboy/cake in the fridge for tommorrow. Depending on the beers differences I might wash the yeast, in your case, no.
Awesome! So the old hops and crap won't matter? Also, what about pitch rate I'm sue I have more yeast than needed.

Thanks,
FishH2o

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Glass City
Liked 45 Times on 20 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why...t-cake-166221/

Great thread with lots of information.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
FatherJack
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

I just pitched onto yest cake with about 2 inches of beer on top of the cake (my autosiphon crapped out on me). I read the thread about why not to pitch onto cake and decided to give it a go anyway. I'm a noob and I was curious how it would turn out.

I put my wort right on top and was expecting a rocket fast start and/or massive krausen.

Honestly, I didn't notice the difference. I can see through my lid on my plastic bucket and I often watch to see how the top of the beer looks, looking for signs of the gathering storm.

I noticed between pitching dried S-04 and on top of the cake, it was about the same start time. It's in full swing now and the krausen is decent, but not volcanic.

Will I do it again? Nope. From now on I'm harvesting my yeast for washing. Since I'm leaving for the States in a few weeks, and I was curious, I went for it.

It'll be really interesting to do the same brew when I return (all grain of course) and pitch some fresh/washed yeast and see how they taste.

My 2 yen (no cents here).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Herkimer, NY
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Are you using a bucket? If you are just use mrmalty to figure out the amount of thick slurry to pitch on your next brew. Convert that to tablespoons, and use a sanitized set of measuring spoons to pitch the right amount. Just scrape cake from the bottom of the bucket, works like a charm. I have dumped on cakes before, and it's not the end of the world. It is sloppy however, and harvesting the right amount is easy.