Dry yeast alternative to Wyeast 1214?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my 4th beer. This time I am getting cocky and jumping into brewing up Bornem Tripel clone. Recipe call for Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey, but I wonder if there is a dry yeast that can give me almost same flavor profile. Since OG is in 1.090 range and final ABV of 10% or so, I predict I will need to pitch the yeast twice, so 2X cost of White Labs or Wyeast is bit too much.
Any suggestions on dry yeast and the quantities needed?

I have never used dry Belgian yeast, but unfortunately it doesn't have a good reputation. There are many to choose from either (two choices?).

Can you do a starter? A lot of people would brew a small Belgian first ( even just half batch) and then re-use the yeast.

Belgian beer requires good yeast. Unfortunately there isn't a dry yeast on the market that makes a beer that's really Belgian. I brewed a sort of Belgian Pale strictly to build yeast for a dubbel. I for some reason neglected to harvest a tube for storage after pitching the two tubes harvested into the dubbel. After the dubbel I'll stash away a couple tubes, and use some of the cake to brew up a Belgian Imperial Stout. I am using Ommegang's house yeast, btw. It is really doing some nice things, all from the little dregs off the bottom of a bottle.

Latest posts

Back