Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Dark Strong Belgian (Chimay Blue)

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
castle: I think the 40 SRM was a typo in the book, and it was supposed to be EBC. That would put it at 15 SRM, which sounds about right.
Thanks Nateo. This weekend is Chimay Blue clone attempt #1, I'm racking the starter batch Friday night and brewing Saturday. My recipe should be around 17 SRM.

My biggest concern is using the 'reported' 5% sugar (and allegedly it's just plain corn sugar, no syrup or color to it) and still getting that high attenuation. I would have expected more sugar to get it to finish that low.

EDIT: Here is an interesting article on Chimay that has some scattered info about their beers...and very irritating cursor-chasing-beers. A little over halfway through it says:
Quote:
Chimay stated that the total amount of sugar in the main brew and for bottle fermentation was of the order of 5%. They declared it to be dextrose, as per the legend on the control panel above, and not candy sugar.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Brewing it Sunday, I know it's not a super simple grain bill (even if you lump all the crystal malts together) but hopefully it will at least come close or if not, at least make a decent Dark Strong.

5.25 gal @ 74% efficiency into the fermenter

11 lb (69.8%) Belgian Pils
.5 lb (3.2%) Belgian Aromatic
.625 lb (4.0%) Belgian Caravienne (~21L)
.625 lb (4.0%) Belgian Crystal 45L
.625 lb (4.0%) Belgian Special B (~115L)
1.5 lb (9.5%) White Wheat malt (German)
.625 lb (4.0%) cane sugar
.25 lb (1.6%) dark caramelized syrup (homemade)

Styrian Goldings to hit ~28 IBU
~400mL washed slurry of WLP500 from my Doree-inspired beer to be racked Saturday morning, then chilled until pitch time.

Shooting for:
OG - 1.080
FG - 1.010
~17 SRM
~9% ABV

Don't think I'll get the attenuation of the real thing (from 1.077 to 1.008) so I put a little buffer in there. I'll be mashing in the mid 140s at first, then ramp it up. Plan to pitch in the low 60s and let it warm to high 60s at the beginning (during blow-off), then just let it naturally warm to room temp after that.

Anything look totally out-of-line? I'm using that little bit of syrup just because I have a mason jar with exactly .25 lb left in it and figured I'd use it up (and I need the color anyway).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Changed it up last minute to:

11 lb (73.6%) Belgian Pils
.75 lb (5.0%) Belgian Crystal 45L
.75 lb (5.0%) Belgian Special B (~115L)
1.5 lb (10%) White Wheat malt (German)
.75 lb (5.0%) cane sugar
.1875 lb (1.3%) dark caramelized syrup (homemade)

Styrian Goldings to hit ~30 IBU
~400mL washed slurry of WLP500

OG was 1.078
Target FG was 1.009 but the FFT finished at 1.012.

I'm making some invert syrup #1 tonight for an ESB this weekend and I'm going to add 1/4 lb of it to the fermenter to try and get it closer to 9% and maybe get the FG down another point or so.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have tested this batch every couple of months, and yes, the longer it sat, the better it got. Still have most of it and I can say after 14+ months from brew day, this tastes awesome. My best beer to date. Haven't compared it to chimay. This attenuated a bit more . Alcohol pushed over 10%. But this is smooth, with a slight alcohol taste too it and a nice raisin, prune sweetness and a little pepper from the yeast.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhot55 View Post
I have tested this batch every couple of months, and yes, the longer it sat, the better it got. Still have most of it and I can say after 14+ months from brew day, this tastes awesome. My best beer to date. Haven't compared it to chimay. This attenuated a bit more . Alcohol pushed over 10%. But this is smooth, with a slight alcohol taste too it and a nice raisin, prune sweetness and a little pepper from the yeast.
Thanks for posting this. I'm just finishing up a run of Belgians that includes a Karmeliete cone, a La Chouffe clone and wanted to finish with either a Dubbel or a Dark Strong. Your recipe and review of it convinced me to try yours. I'll give you a review as it ages.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 31

mhot55 - where did you get this recipe?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

After all this time, I don't remember where I got it from. But I know it wasn't 1 particular site/ recipe. Searched throughout HBT, and a few other sites. Did my homework and came up with what I did. I wound up getting a copy of Brew Like A Monk and there really wasn't much info other than the OG was 1.077 and the attenuation was 85+%. I don't know how well this can be replicated on a homebrew scale. I'd shoot for 1.082-1.087 OG. Mash for high fermentation (147*) and control temps so after a couple of days you can jack temp to 75, then 80 and then 85. I STILL have a few bottles (been almost 2 years). This ages beautifully.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
After all this time, I don't remember where I got it from. But I know it wasn't 1 particular site/ recipe. Searched throughout HBT, and a few other sites. Did my homework and came up with what I did. I wound up getting a copy of Brew Like A Monk and there really wasn't much info other than the OG was 1.077 and the attenuation was 85+%. I don't know how well this can be replicated on a homebrew scale. I'd shoot for 1.082-1.087 OG. Mash for high fermentation (147*) and control temps so after a couple of days you can jack temp to 75, then 80 and then 85. I STILL have a few bottles (been almost 2 years). This ages beautifully.
If it were my batch, I would use the Wyeast High Gravity Trappist Ale yeast to get your gravity down where it's supposed to go. I used it for a Dubbel and as it matures, I can't help tasting Chimay like esters in it, even without much Special B or Aromatic malts. I'm going to brew us a batch soon and let you know how it comes out.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If I remember, this attenuated down further under 1.010... Think to around 1.008/ 1.006. So the WY 1388 did the job. Just had another one yesterday. It still tastes great. Seems like every few months it changes a little. Became a little sweeter, the alcohol has mellowed so much that it seems non-existent. I officially only have 1 750ml bottle left. That sucks.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #20
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
If I remember, this attenuated down further under 1.010... Think to around 1.008/ 1.006. So the WY 1388 did the job. Just had another one yesterday. It still tastes great. Seems like every few months it changes a little. Became a little sweeter, the alcohol has mellowed so much that it seems non-existent. I officially only have 1 750ml bottle left. That sucks.
That's how I felt when I got to the last of my belgian strong golden ale. In Dave Line's Brewing beers like those you buy, the recipe says to not even touch it for 18 months. I am not that patient of a man!