Life Cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not the full one but one of the little ones.

Those that have been around for a year or two may remember that when I first Joined I changed my lifestyle.

I was a Financial Adviser in a high stress job earning a shed full of money.
I took a little time to go travelling, went and stayed in the desert a bit amongst other things. Came home, packed the job in and got a job part time as an activity instructor at a place doing 4x4, Paintball, Quad bikes etc. I've travelled some, brewed some, played some, done it all again. I had a break from brewing for a few months. Africa 3x Europe 8x plus around England, Ireland and Wales. I'm 50% self sufficient on food. 95% self sufficient on Beer, Binned the TV, etc, etc, etc.

Well, I'm in the middle of a brewing break, I'm off back to the desert for a bit and may well be taking another Shirt and tie job. But this time it's back into a progressive environment in the industry I was in before the Finance sector.

The down side obviously is less personal time, Putting a suit on each day and up to 2 hour commute a day.

:confused::eek::)

You off again then Orfy? Seems like you've only been back a few weeks. Stay in touch this time eh? We all thought you'd gone for good last time.

Wow- that would be a big change (again) to go back to the corporate world. A suit and tie, with a 2 hour communte?

I think we all grow and change and what makes you feel fulfilled at one point may be meaningless at another point. I understand that people have to do whatever your heart tells you is right, whether it's back in the work force, or wandering the globe. I wish you well in making all these changes and following your heart.

But, I sure will miss you here on HBT!

Well, it seems like you've searched for and found some balance in your life, which is what's important. Hopefully, if you do go back to the corporate side, you'll be able to maintain this balance. It's been great having you around - don't go AWOL on us!

Orfy,
I'll be pissed if we don't here from you for awhile! The place ain't the same without you.
I hope your travels are enjoyable and we will hear from you soon.

Take care Orfy. :mug:

Good luck boss, hope everything works out well for you. You are one of the regulars around here, and I have learned alot from your posts.

Check in when you get a chance and let us know how life is treating you.

Good luck and travel safe... haven't been here long, but I've enjoyed and learned from your non nonsense style and solid info/advice.

:mug:

Enjoy your travels. You've been to more places than many of us combined, I'm sure.

Sucks about the 2 hour commute. That's going to get old real quick. Unless, of course, you are on a train or something where you can relax and read the newspaper, etc.

Kind of discouraging about Financial Advisor being high stress. I am studying for that occupation as we speak. I want to work to live, not live to work. :)

Well, good luck. hear from ya next time you're on.
Cheers, mate! :mug:

Just one night in Sahara if I don't get stuck again. Last time it took me 4 days to get there but got stuck on the way back due to a the Atlas passes being blocked.

I'll be back when I'm back. I have a stand by ticket for the return.

They company I'm talking to really want me to start ASAP but they need to get the OK from the parent company on the Salary. So I'm using that to play for a little time.

Plus I still have the interview with the Finance Director to get through. Plus the Parent company whose site I would based at would rather have one of theirs in control than an outsider.

Corporate politics....you gotta love them...:eek:

Apparently if you keep rubber snakes in your backpack the monkeys (while pilfering the contents for goodies like cookies, brownies, crumpets) will belive that snakes are real and run away (without eating your goodies).

Well I'm obviously back from Africa.

I got the job offer today. The Salary is a little shy on my request but they put a bonus in that's uncapped.
Back into the rat race. Not bad I've had 18 months playing and travelling.

orfy said:
Well I'm obviously back from Africa.

An I got the job offer today. The Salary is a little shy on my request but they put a bonus in that's uncapped.
Back into the rat race. Not bad I've had 18 months playing and travelling.

Welcome back to the fold. Get your tie shined up and get ready to be property of the man.

Welcome back, and good luck in your new endeavor.

I admire your courage to do new things--most adults (including myself) are scared to death of such major lifestyle changes.

cweston said:
Welcome back, and good luck in your new endeavor.

I admire your courage to do new things--most adults (including myself) are scared to death of such major lifestyle changes.

Most people think I'm crazy but I think they are jealous.
I wish I could just be boring sometimes......(Hell no I don't):rockin:
But the bank suffers for it sometimes. I guess I've just figured If I can do the things I want on a budget I don't have to work so much.

WOW what a week.

A few people have found out I'm back in the industry and have contacted be. I have a few meetings set up next week. I have a morality issue to deal with.
I just know I'm going to be looking at maybe turning down a few well oiled offers. I don't want to shaft the company hat I've started with, I know some of the guys in there quite well and a few of them went out of their way to get me on board. These other companies are or will be competitors.
I've not signed a contract yet.

I need to do some serious thinking.

orfy said:
WOW what a week.

A few people have found out I'm back in the industry and have contacted be. I have a few meetings set up next week. I have a morality issue to deal with.
I just know I'm going to be looking at maybe turning down a few well oiled offers. I don't want to shaft the company hat I've started with, I know some of the guys in there quite well and a few of them went out of their way to get me on board. These other companies are or will be competitors.
I've not signed a contract yet.

I need to do some serious thinking.

Man, it must suck to have lots of companies wanting to give you assloads of cash. ;)

Back