What are you drinking now? - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #81
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
No. I always see it and I'm tempted to buy it, but I can't pull the trigger for some reason.
I COMPLETELY understand. I was the same way. I thought the packaging was, how should I say... "trying to hard" to sell itself. Plus, it was always sitting there with Purple Haze, which wasn't appealing to me. I didn't even know it was a dark beer, to be honest.

However, my SIL's boyfriend bought a sampler pack of Abita's brews for the final game of the World Cup and when he came from the kitchen with a glass of black goodness, I was curious.

I tasted it first and then asked which it was and he told me. Now, I'm feeling like a tool for having not tried it sooner.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #82
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
No. I always see it and I'm tempted to buy it, but I can't pull the trigger for some reason.
I'm the same way. Every time I'm in Total Wine I see Abita beers but I never buy it, even just 1 in a mixed 6 pack. Not sure why, must be the label like Walker said.

funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #83
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
I'm the same way. Every time I'm in Total Wine I see Abita beers but I never buy it, even just 1 in a mixed 6 pack. Not sure why, must be the label like Walker said.
Probably. The packaging screams "I am chic! Only cool people drink me!"

I (wrongly) suspected it was a crappy beer with a trendy package.

todd and dude, I'll save a couple bottles for you for after the beer fest.

-walker
Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #84
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sweet. I still have 1 bottle of that AB Devils Hop Yard IPA I'll bring if someone wants to sample it. Like I said in another thread, it's not that great but it was interesting to try it.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #85
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
Abita Turbodog
I like Turbodog. It's a really smooth porter-like brew that doesn't require you to "develop a taste" for it just so you can drink it. But then, I'm from south Lousiana and grew up not so far from there, so I had to try the beer the first time I saw it.

The Amber is a good solid beer too. Those are the only two I've tried.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 AM   #86
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Right now I'm drinking Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA. I wanted to try it because several people on this forum said they liked it.

I like the first sensation of tingly bright crispness on the front of the tongue as you start to sip, but as the beer travels down my tongue and fills my mouth, the extraordinary bitterness makes me want to pucker up and spew it out. It's a nice looking beer, though. It looks very pretty in a glass.

I like bitterness in beers, but more on the level of a British Pale Ale or an ESB, where there is sufficient sweetness to balance the bitterness. This DFH 60 minute would be great if the bitterness could be cut in half. (Would that make it a 30 minute IPA?)

I tip my hat to those who can tolerate a beer this bitter. It's not to my taste, and thus not a pleasure to drink. I'm quite certain I won't be trying the DFH 90 minute IPA, as this one here is way too bitter for me. As a matter of fact, since I also tried DFH Indian Brown Ale and found it utterly repulsive, I doubt I'll ever try another DFH.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 AM   #87
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Right now I'm drinking Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA. I wanted to try it because several people on this forum said they liked it.

I like the first sensation of tingly bright crispness on the front of the tongue as you start to sip, but as the beer travels down my tongue and fills my mouth, the extraordinary bitterness makes me want to pucker up and spew it out. It's a nice looking beer, though. It looks very pretty in a glass.

I like bitterness in beers, but more on the level of a British Pale Ale or an ESB, where there is sufficient sweetness to balance the bitterness. This DFH 60 minute would be great if the bitterness could be cut in half. (Would that make it a 30 minute IPA?)

I tip my hat to those who can tolerate a beer this bitter. It's not to my taste, and thus not a pleasure to drink. I'm quite certain I won't be trying the DFH 90 minute IPA, as this one here is way too bitter for me. As a matter of fact, since I also tried DFH Indian Brown Ale and found it utterly repulsive, I doubt I'll ever try another DFH.
Keep with it. It will grow on you.

And you can't detect sweetness in that? All of the DFH stuff (including 90 minute) is too sweet for me.

My advice, don't waste your money on Arrogant Bastard or Hop Rod Rye for a while. That'll kick you in the nuts.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #88
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 515 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Dude, let me ask you, as one of the resident hops-expert, something.

I really liked the Arrogant Bastard, but didn't care for Hop Rod Rye. Now, I've been developing a taste for more and more hops recently, and I had the HRR several months before AB, but am I right in perceiving HRR as being a lot harsher? Is it the rye that gives it that extra nut-grab?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #89
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Dude, let me ask you, as one of the resident hops-expert, something.

I really liked the Arrogant Bastard, but didn't care for Hop Rod Rye. Now, I've been developing a taste for more and more hops recently, and I had the HRR several months before AB, but am I right in perceiving HRR as being a lot harsher? Is it the rye that gives it that extra nut-grab?
I dunno, because I actually think AB is a little more harsh. Maybe yours was older? But yes, you are right --I believe the rye probably gives it an extra "spicy" character. Prolly what you are detecting?

I absolutely adore HRR. To me it has the perfect everything.

It seems to be a mystery as to what exactly type of bittering hops is in AB. Some say Chinook, which is very high cohumolone. That will make it very harsh.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 AM   #90
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

I may have a line on a case of Stone's 10th Anniversary Imperial I2PA. I haven't had it yet but it sounds freaking awesome. Wondering if anyone wants to trade/purchase a bottle if I get it?

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com