Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #7201
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman

exactly! thats what it says on the label. I was wrong, also. It's 70 IBU's. So the low end of an Imperial IPA, but delicious
My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #7202
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00

My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk
Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #7203
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM

Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.
The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #7204
insurgus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Chimay. Mmmmmm.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #7205
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Abt12 just finishing up actually.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #7206
Quietandsimple
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout. Roasty, Toasty, Hoppy, Goodness. I'm on my third one. This stuff is good.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #7207
DannPM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.
Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #7208
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM

Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.
The BJCP and GABF agree with the starting point though. I
Made an 8% IPA and still didn't really feel like it was Imperial enough. I guess this is where the double comes in even though the double isn't recognized by anyone. Who cares anyway. The pros seem to follow the guidelines even less than the homebrewers do.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #7209
DannPM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
...Who cares anyway. The pros seem to follow the guidelines even less than the homebrewers do.
My point exactly

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #7210
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There is an imperial IPA in the BJCP guidelines...

At any rate, I'm drinking an Amperage Amber now and it's delicious.