Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #7201
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cibolo, TX
Posts: 911
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman

exactly! thats what it says on the label. I was wrong, also. It's 70 IBU's. So the low end of an Imperial IPA, but delicious
My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk


pm5k00 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #7202
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Posts: 1,864
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00

My appologies, I assumed a brewery would know enough to label their own beer correctly. IIPAs start at 60 IBUs and 7.5% ABV

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk
Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.


__________________
Time to have some fun
DannPM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #7203
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,332
Liked 2727 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM

Lol dude imperial ipa has no official starting points, only suggestions by various guides who attempt to define styles.
The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #7204
insurgus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Chimay. Mmmmmm.
__________________
WTB Brewtek Yeast Strains
insurgus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #7205
Beezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,383
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Abt12 just finishing up actually.
Beezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #7206
Quietandsimple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Washington
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout. Roasty, Toasty, Hoppy, Goodness. I'm on my third one. This stuff is good.
__________________
Hospitality, Courage, Strength, Levity. These qualities a hero make.
Quietandsimple is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #7207
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Posts: 1,864
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
The BJCP is as official as it gets as far as this is concerned... so if you even want to call it a "style" instead of just a "beer" then yes, it does have official starting points.
Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.
__________________
Time to have some fun
DannPM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #7208
Beezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,383
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM

Really? I guess you've never looked at the GABF style guidelines which is what the pros use in competitions, The great Micheal Jackon's catalog of beer styles are among the biggest and most respected alongside the BJCP.

There are, as well, a plethora of smaller scale attempts to define styles such as beertutor.com's style guide, Hybrid guide based on the BJCP and Brewer's Association like this one from Greatbrewers.com, ratebeer.com's, beeradvocate.com's, as well as dozens of others.

Check them all out, they have something in common, sometimes a lot in common, but are never defined as exactly the same for each, with agreed cutoff's for IBU, abv, OG, FG, etc.

So no there is no "official" starting and cutoff points for each style, it's all relative, and very loosely defined, when not using the BJCP like a Bible of commands.
The BJCP and GABF agree with the starting point though. I
Made an 8% IPA and still didn't really feel like it was Imperial enough. I guess this is where the double comes in even though the double isn't recognized by anyone. Who cares anyway. The pros seem to follow the guidelines even less than the homebrewers do.
Beezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #7209
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Posts: 1,864
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
...Who cares anyway. The pros seem to follow the guidelines even less than the homebrewers do.
My point exactly
__________________
Time to have some fun
DannPM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #7210
drummerguysteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 594
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

There is an imperial IPA in the BJCP guidelines...

At any rate, I'm drinking an Amperage Amber now and it's delicious.


drummerguysteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Forum Jump