What are you drinking now? - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:08 AM   #51
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelone
I love the flavor of this...perhaps you had a bad batch or it was mishandled in transport?
Possibly. My sister-in-law drank a bottle from the same 6-er and loved it. (For reference, she also told me Stella Artois was one of the best beers in the world.)

funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #52
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Unfermented wort from my Picket Fence Porter that I just brewed. Very sweet, obviously, but plenty of chocolate flavor coming through. The smoke should just be in there once the sugars are fermented. Great so far...
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #53
disaffected
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

All three of my beers so far have tasted pretty unpleasant immediately after brewing. They are all too bitter, for one thing. Strange aftertastes and metallic twangs and curious sharpness. Unbalanced.

The first one I brewed is now starting to taste pretty good. I'm still a week away from bottling it. My other two brews aren't old enough yet for me to detect any improvement in flavor. It's only been 1 week for my second brew which is still in primary. I haven't tasted it again since the night I boiled it. It's just been a few hours for my third brew (the Kolsch recipe you gave me Brewsmith). I tasted it after taking a hydrometer reading, and it was quite bitter.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #54
Wheat King

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
(For reference, she also told me Stella Artois was one of the best beers in the world.)
what is the story with Stella Artois??? I was in France a year ago, and so i tried it first there. i was definitely not impressed, although none of the other french beers were worth mentioning either.
anyway, suddenly, i see billboards and its popping up in EVERY bar and restaurant I've been to in the last few months. seems very much the 'popular beer of the moment' at least in so cal.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 AM   #55
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA

About a week ago I stopped by my local place to pick up micros and found this oddity:

The Brewers of Lagunitas
Freak Out
Ale

2006 A.D.
The 40th Anniversary of the Landmark Album's Release

It's a special release comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Frank Zappa album for those of you who, like me, are a little too young to remember. The label on the bottle is the cover of the album. It doesn't say anything on the label about the beer other than it's 7.3% abv. It's a nice golden honey color with a nice hop aroma and flavor. It's an IPA of some variety. Nice and hoppy, with a little sweetness on the back end, but the finish is still bittering hops. I don't have a bottle of the regular Lagunitas IPA to compare. Very good though. Get it if you can find it.
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #56
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
About a week ago I stopped by my local place to pick up micros and found this oddity:

The Brewers of Lagunitas
Freak Out
Ale

2006 A.D.
The 40th Anniversary of the Landmark Album's Release

It's a special release comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Frank Zappa album for those of you who, like me, are a little too young to remember. The label on the bottle is the cover of the album. It doesn't say anything on the label about the beer other than it's 7.3% abv. It's a nice golden honey color with a nice hop aroma and flavor. It's an IPA of some variety. Nice and hoppy, with a little sweetness on the back end, but the finish is still bittering hops. I don't have a bottle of the regular Lagunitas IPA to compare. Very good though. Get it if you can find it.
Interesting!

However, I've absolutely hated everythign I've ever had from Lagunitas. All of the stuff tastes like iced tea, just nasty.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #57
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

I'm well on my way.

I broke into the growler of Duclaw Venom that I picked up when we were in Baltimore. I'm in beervana right now. Now that I've busted this puppy open, I've got to finish tonight. Could get ugly.

Right now I'm also getting ready to start grilling up some hop smoked chicken. It's an experiment, We'll see how it goes.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #58
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Interesting!

However, I've absolutely hated everythign I've ever had from Lagunitas. All of the stuff tastes like iced tea, just nasty.
I think it's just too far in transit to get to you fresh. I think they make excellent beers. When will distributers and stores learn how to properly transport and store good beer?
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #59
Truble

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing yet, though I have an Angry Simon ready for me while I do my homework tonight. Possibly 2. Just took a sniff of my IPA in the secondary....wow! the Cascade is really doing its job!

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #60
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
I think it's just too far in transit to get to you fresh. I think they make excellent beers. When will distributers and stores learn how to properly transport and store good beer?
Don't know, but somethign was certainly wrong.

Man....life is good. Drinking great beer, got a nice fire going in the fire pit, and soon I'll be eating. Ahhhhh.............
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com