What are you drinking now? - Page 33 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #321
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Foster's. Australian for BMC. However, the bottles appear to be some of the best available for re-use, save for Grolsch flip-tops.

Posted earlier about a bar I found here that serves Hoegaarden. At least I've had a couple of decent beers this month...

Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #322
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

If I'm right The Ausies don't drink Fosters they just spend money on marketing abroad and send the crap outa town!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #323
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
If I'm right The Ausies don't drink Fosters they just spend money on marketing abroad and send the crap outa town!
I've heard the same thing. I really don't like the stuff at all, but I do like the bottles - they actually appear to be a bit better than the Sam Adams bottles everyone seems to like.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #324
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

This is not one of my favorites. I'll give it a go sometime in the future to make sure I've not got a duff one.
WychCraft Tasting Note

"A pale golden potion with delicate red hues, WychCraft has a heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops. A sprig of gentle warming malty flavour finishes with a dry biscuit note and a counterpoise of bitterness."
Jeremy Moss, Head Brewer http://www.wychwood.co.uk/wychwood_wychcraft.htm

Old 01-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #325
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Red Hook Long Hammer IPA

Supposedly this is their Ballard Bitter renamed. I never had the Ballard, so I can't compare.

The color is a nice golden color. Some hop aroma, but not spicy. Flavor is at first the bitter hops, again not spicy, but a firm bitterness. Then a little carmely sweetness in the back. If you're looking for an over the top IPA, this is ot it. It is very balanced, not very spicy, but still enough to be called an IPA with pride. Think more of the English interpretation. A very nice beer.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-29-2007, 04:24 AM   #326
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Now I'm on to another IPA, one of my favorites...

Brudgeport IPA!

Except that it doesn't travel well apparently. It's missing some of the citrus flavors that I love. The hop spiciness is just lacking a little bit. It's not bad, it's just not as good as I know it is. This is the second time I've bought it down here and been dissapointed. I even made the store open an unopened case just so I could get a six pack that hadn't been sitting on the shelf. Next time I'm in the Portland area I'm stocking up.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #327
Pat in WV

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Hico, WV

Not triple fisting, but sampling three different sixers.

Harpoon IPA, Red Ale and Magic Hat #9.

I like all of them, the Red Ale the most...so far.

All are first-tastes...and the Magic Hat was a bit perplexing at first.

Whenever trying new beers, I just grab one (always buy at least two kinds) and taste, before reading label etc. Magic Hat was a fun ride, figured out why it was so fruity when I saw the mention of apricot on the label.

At first I was scared, because my wife liked it...lol.

Harpoon's are nice as well.
Up Next - Double IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, American Strong Ale

Anyone know where I can find a Grant's Perfect Porter clone?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #328
Pedro-

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Plymouth, MICHIGAN

Bell's hopslam. WOW.

WHAMMY!

This is one brutal brew. Very good, and (though they don't clue you in on the bottle or that sixer carton) it's 10% ABV!

Golden amber in color. Slightly hazy, half inch head to start, slim consistent through remainder of glass. Good lacing, slight malty but very dominant hop aroma. Right off the bat biting taste, slightly warm on the palate.

This is one nice brew.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 AM   #329

Toleration Hambleton Ales, Melmerby, North Yorkshire, England. Man, this is some funky a$$ beer! I like funky beers but this is has got a wierd brown sugar sweetness along with a bitter/green apple sourness. It is a gluten free beer made from sugars. Contains no barley, rye or wheat malt. Ingredients: (as printed on the bottle) Toleration is brewed using water, Challenger, Liberty and Cascade hops, top-fermenting yeast and specially prepared sugars. I'm not sure I can tolerate the rest of this glass!

Click image for larger version

Name:	toleration_ale-bottle.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	861

Edit: I'm 2/3 the way through and it's beginning to grow on me. Still funky but tolerable.

funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #330
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Yeup. Same as XXXX (four x, not a swear word).

Marketing has a lot to answer for. Convincing us to buy stuff that we either don't want or need. I say shoot the lot of them lying to the whole of society. If the world was to be a happy place that we were all to get along and have fun then these people need to go. ...rant over.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things