What are you drinking now? - Page 29 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #281
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Well you nailed it! I used Columbus to bitter and Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. The IBU level may be a bit off. I have noticed that the one bag of Cascade hops I got may have been not as fresh as I hoped, lacking a little in the punch. As for the carbonation, who knows. I did the standard 3/4 cup of corn sugar in the batch. I did it in late summer, so it wasn't like the fermentation temps were low, leaving some fermentables behind. That's when you open it and let it sit for 5 minutes before pouring. I only have about 6 22's of it left, so those are nice when I get to the end of the bottle.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #282
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

Finally have the Alaskan Smoked Porter in front of me....

Damn, the smoke is dominant in this beer. Not that this is bad, but there's no real subtlety there. I remember Stone's Smoked Porter being a lot less aggressively smokey, despite the fact it used peated malt (whereas the Alaskan used regular rauchmalt).

Really, though, the smoke is absolutely dominant. Despite that, the beer is very smooth, good mouthfeel, a bit full but not chewey. No hop aroma to speak of, just a modest amount of bitterness and a little bit of flavor on the middle part of the tongue. Not overwhelmingly roasty.

A really nice beer, and THANK YOU AGAIN to Brewtopia for sending them out my way. I'm doing a tasting of my smoked porter alongside a bottle of this and a bottle of the stone, then I think at least one of these will go into medium-term storage. Maybe I'll sample the '05 with the Stone and my beer, and stast the other '05 and other '06 for a little while. I almost want that smoke flavor to go down a little bit, so I'm anxious now to see how the '05 has aged.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #283
Mike B
Recipes 

Nov 2006
New York, NY

Right now I'm drinking Lagunitas Brown Sugar. A buddy of mine got a keg of this the other day, and decided to share it with us during the game today. MAN, this is some good stuff!

Last night, I had a Bad Elf Winter's Ale. It's made by Rideway Brewing in MA. I payed about $5 for a pint of it, but was very good!

Edit: Whoops, I see now that this thread is for homebrew. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #284
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I just finished off a Dead Guy that I've been working on for about 2 hours while I built my mini mash tun.

Now I'm on to Firestone Walker's Porter Reserve

"A limited-production Reserve crafted in small batches and uniquely conditioned in American oak barrels."

Pours a deep brown, almost black color. Aroma is a little fruity, raisiny-plum and slightly chocolatey, with just a little oak, almost inperceptable. Flavor is first the fruit and bittersweet chocolate, followed by some roasted flavors. Roast lingers on the tongue with a little oak. This is a very nice porter. It has many flavors that I have often found in stronger porters and stouts, the sweeter fruit - raisin and plum flavors, even though this beer is only 5.9%

Nice and balanced, not too much roasted flavor, a little sweet and fruity with just a little oak. A great beer.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #285
Pedro-

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Plymouth, MICHIGAN

last night was a chimay and a maudite.

today my belgian wit. flat of course, since I just threw it into a keg today. but samples are always required

later, arcadia scotch ale. and maybe the last bottle of my sixer of SN celebration

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #286

A Scotch Ale a buddy of mine brewed. Wow, It's awesome! He got the brew kettle very hot before running the wort from the mashtun causing the wort to carmelize once it hit the kettle. The result is a wonderful smokiness from the carmelized malt. It's sweet with just the right balance of hops. It comes in at 8% abv but is extremely drinkable. He used to be the head brewer at Farwest Brewing Company in Redmond WA. He won a bronze metal at GABF in 2005 for his Robust Porter.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #287
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

MMMMMM...Walker IPA. Damn this **** is good. All the threads on it lately made me crave it.

I cannot believe this is an extract beer.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #288
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Dead Guy Ale...

I'd like to make this beer TYVM....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #289
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
MMMMMM...Walker IPA. Damn this **** is good. All the threads on it lately made me crave it.

I cannot believe this is an extract beer.
I have *ONE* left... I almost cannot bear to drink it. I know I'm not doing it any favors by letting it sit, but the day when I don't have any of Walker's IPA in the house will be a very, very sad day.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #290
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I have *ONE* left... I almost cannot bear to drink it. I know I'm not doing it any favors by letting it sit, but the day when I don't have any of Walker's IPA in the house will be a very, very sad day.
That was my last too. I think I have a Fat Tire ****up and another wit left.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com