What are you drinking now? - Page 2238 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #22371
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1988.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	98197

The aroma's definitely subdued, but notes of citrus, pine, dank, earthy pine forest like aroma and some sweet, mead like qualities. I also get some sweet caramel, white bread and fruit-y esters. There's some grassy, dry hops character there too; fresh, cut grass. Cold, with a head on it, the aroma was so faint. Flavor is BAM: malty sweetness immediately cut by a huge hops bitterness. Then come some faint, grassy citrus and pine hops that are quickly washed away by what I can only call an astringency on the sides of the tongue. The finish is bitter, pine needle-like hoppiness and a bit of alcohol that continues to warm. Overall, I think this is a good beer. Does it live up to the hype, not even close. A solid double IPA but severely lacking in hops flavor and aroma. I see why so many love it, but I prefer a punch of hops in the face type IIPA.

I should add, now that I'm s'posed to be looking at beers for their respective styles, that this beer does nail the style to a f'n T with a capital T. I'd probably score it in the high 30s. It's not my thing for sure, I want to taste the hops too, but it is a classic example of the style.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

mcbaumannerb Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #22372
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Liked 752 Times on 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH

That has been the hardest beer for me to get ahold of here.
I have one left but if I can get more I'm down to trade if you'd like.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Hefe
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Bourbon Chocolate RIS, Helles Lager, Best Bitter
On Deck : Pomegranate Berliner, Dortmunder Export, Espresso Brown

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #22373
Swarley88
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Chaska, Minnesota
Liked 610 Times on 375 Posts

Victory Storm King

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #22374
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Attachment 98197

The aroma's definitely subdued, but notes of citrus, pine, dank, earthy pine forest like aroma and some sweet, mead like qualities. I also get some sweet caramel, white bread and fruit-y esters. There's some grassy, dry hops character there too; fresh, cut grass. Cold, with a head on it, the aroma was so faint. Flavor is BAM: malty sweetness immediately cut by a huge hops bitterness. Then come some faint, grassy citrus and pine hops that are quickly washed away by what I can only call an astringency on the sides of the tongue. The finish is bitter, pine needle-like hoppiness and a bit of alcohol that continues to warm. Overall, I think this is a good beer. Does it live up to the hype, not even close. A solid double IPA but severely lacking in hops flavor and aroma. I see why so many love it, but I prefer a punch of hops in the face type IIPA.

I should add, now that I'm s'posed to be looking at beers for their respective styles, that this beer does nail the style to a f'n T with a capital T. I'd probably score it in the high 30s. It's not my thing for sure, I want to taste the hops too, but it is a classic example of the style.
The only thing I disagree about is the aroma,it was a face**** for me.Otherwise I agree. I had the 1-10 bottle,what did you have? Reviews were bashing the 1-3? version I think. Every year Ive been anticipated about this beer yet it always underwelms the expectations every time.Its still good just not my thing everytime. The way you described it to me sounds like a two-brothers beer every time.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #22375
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
The only thing I disagree about is the aroma,it was a face**** for me.Otherwise I agree. I had the 1-10 bottle,what did you have? Reviews were bashing the 1-3? version I think. Every year Ive been anticipated about this beer yet it always underwelms the expectations every time.Its still good just not my thing everytime. The way you described it to me sounds like a two-brothers beer every time.
The bottles I grabbed were 1/9. I saw the review about the off flavor in the 1/3 bottles. Didn't get that, and all and all, it's a great beer. Just not my kinda IIPA by any stretch of the term. My wife adores is, so we always stock up each year. I'm gonna stash away some bottles this year, I always seem to enjoy this beer more after a few months. The hops (what's there) go, but the honey and alcohol begin creating some really nice flavors after some time, IMO.

Anyway, onto something more up my alley....

Name:	HPIM1993.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	98204

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

People Like This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #22376
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

Quote:
The bottles I grabbed were 1/9. I saw the review about the off flavor in the 1/3 bottles. Didn't get that, and all and all, it's a great beer. Just not my kinda IIPA by any stretch of the term. My wife adores is, so we always stock up each year. I'm gonna stash away some bottles this year, I always seem to enjoy this beer more after a few months. The hops (what's there) go, but the honey and alcohol begin creating some really nice flavors after some time, IMO.

Anyway, onto something more up my alley....

Attachment 98204
Agreed. Im a little underwelmed with expectations each time. I just was blew away by aroma this time,but not taste. I noticed more honey the last time that I never noticed the year before. Not one of my favorate ipa's either but is good,not really a double worth that price either.

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #22377
BrewinHooligan

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Liked 1776 Times on 1191 Posts

Quote:

Awesome description and I agree 100%. On tap the hop aroma is much stronger, like a fresh cut Christmas tree and it's much better but I like a more aggressive bitterness than this has.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #22378
morticus
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 99 Times on 53 Posts

Trying my first DFH 90 min iPA. Not bad.

Name:	image-878687105.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	98206

People Like This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #22379
Swarley88
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Chaska, Minnesota
Liked 610 Times on 375 Posts

My Scottish Ale. Took forever to carbonate but quite nice now.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #22380
danorocks17
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

High Life, and it is superb

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"