What are you drinking now? - Page 1588 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #15871
huntingohio
Recipes 

Jan 2011
rural, ohio
Liked 55 Times on 37 Posts

Dogfishheads midas touch

So far its so so. Not a bad beer but just feel short of expectation.
Great color [no so much saffron as I thought or hoped but very golden. Kept a good head despite being at 40f when poured.
On the nose it has a kind of winey, I suppose thats from the muscat grapes.

On the tounge the first thing I get is a young wine kind of burn with a nice hop flavor backing it. It has an ale like body, kinda standard nothing to write home about.
I think this may be one where I squirrel away a bottle for a month or so. I was hoping for a more grape and honey feel to it. maybe aging it for awhile will let that happen.
Gets a B for today, maybe an A later if some of the sweetness an floaral tastes from the honey come back
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #15872
odinsgift
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Liked 111 Times on 89 Posts

Lagunitas IPA, while I start my Doppelbock Elk stew.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #15873
Whut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Peoria, AZ
Liked 1878 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
How is the Challenger? What would you compare it to?
Hey bottle, how goes it. Consuming a Hop Head Red, currently.

nukebrewer Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #15874
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1327.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	82490
These guys make a mean IPA. This one's great, there's a couple hop flakes and a seed in my glass.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #15875
Vernacular

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Batavia, NY, NY
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Just finished the last 750ml bottle of Cream of Three Crops... time to make the cream ale... again. Gotta get my red ale and a ten gallon batch of pumpkin stout finished and bottled up. Cream of Three Crops next in line.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #15876
weirdboy
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts

Had several great beers yesterday, but no chance to take pics. Highlights include Zombie Dust, Furious, Double DBA, and a Cynicale.

I have finally settled down for the day, and I'm kicking back with one of these excellent Wexford Cream Ales from a nitro can.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2231835976.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	82497  

Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #15877
odinsgift
Recipes 

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
Had several great beers yesterday, but no chance to take pics. Highlights include Zombie Dust, Furious, Double DBA, and a Cynicale.

I have finally settled down for the day, and I'm kicking back with one of these excellent Wexford Cream Ales from a nitro can.
What did you think of DDBA?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #15878
weirdboy
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsgift View Post
What did you think of DDBA?
I actually had it on tap a few months ago, so this was a chance to revisit the beer for me. I think it's delicious. Definitely a sipper. If you have a bottle of it, I recommend getting a couple of friends together to help you get through it. I mean, obviously you CAN drink it all yourself, but for me it finishes a bit too sweet to enjoy more than maybe 8-10oz at a time. I guess you might compare it with an English barleywine in that it has many of the same characteristics. It is more heavily hopped I think than, say, a JW Lee Harvest Ale, and although it is a bit boozy, it is *extremely* smooth; almost creamy. It would be quite interesting to try that beer on nitro sometime...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #15879
odinsgift
Recipes 

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

I actually had it on tap a few months ago, so this was a chance to revisit the beer for me. I think it's delicious. Definitely a sipper. If you have a bottle of it, I recommend getting a couple of friends together to help you get through it. I mean, obviously you CAN drink it all yourself, but for me it finishes a bit too sweet to enjoy more than maybe 8-10oz at a time. I guess you might compare it with an English barleywine in that it has many of the same characteristics. It is more heavily hopped I think than, say, a JW Lee Harvest Ale, and although it is a bit boozy, it is *extremely* smooth; almost creamy. It would be quite interesting to try that beer on nitro sometime...
Where did you have it on draft? Was it a tap takeover? Did you get your XVI yet?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #15880
jerryteague
Recipes 

Feb 2012
, Tulsa, Ok
Liked 183 Times on 152 Posts

Since my schedule is messed up (I work on call) I had a Marshall Pub Ale, a Guiness on nitro, and a HB'ed Hefeweizen.
The pub ale is ok, but I'm not a big fan of the hops in it (glacier). I guess I'm biased toward the more citrusy hops, like cascade. Next up is another Guiness on nitro, while I browse through NB's website for more ingredients.