What are you drinking now? - Page 112 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #1111
batches_brew
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Hollyweed

I'm drinking my latest homebrew. It's an American Brown Ale, tasty.

On Deck: Hefeweizen, ABA, Robust Porter

Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #1112
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1368 Times on 1337 Posts

I am drinking Brewfest Marzen, followed by
milk stout, and loving it.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 11-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #1113
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3163 Times on 1871 Posts

Bellhaven Wee Heavy...

It's a right fat bastard of a beer....I'd rank it up there along side oaked Arrogant Bastard (without the oakiness.) It's not a smooth, mellow ale...

I like this definition from some beerblog I found while looking up info on it...

Quote:
Belhaven Wee Heavy is more aggressive and unrefined than many of its brethren. It's malty, but it is neither smooth nor suave. It is a barbarian at the door.

If you're a scotch drinker, you might like Belhaven if you're the kind of person who would choose a bold and peaty Laphroig or Lagavulin over a smoother more rounded flavor, like the Macallen.

Casual beer drinkers should probably skip Belhaven Wee Heavy and go for a smoother, maltier tasting wee heavy. I think beers like McEwans Scotch Ale (or even Skullsplitter) are much more palatable to a mass market, and I think they're closer to what a lot of American craft brewers aim for when they try to do wee heavies.

However, if you're a purist (and you know who you are), you owe it to yourself to try a bottle of this unusual and very rich beer. It is very complex, but also a very authentic traditional-style wee heavy.
Give it a try.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #1114
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Tetleys English Ale.

I'd have to say it's pretty good...for beer out of a can.

I do love Widgited beer.
I'll be drinking some Fullers ESB later.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #1115
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. It's kinda like a Wit crossed with an IPA. It's their IPA but fermented with a Belgian yeast. Hoppy, fruity, a little bubble gum, but very balanced. An interesting twist on a favorite.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #1116
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3163 Times on 1871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. It's kinda like a Wit crossed with an IPA. It's their IPA but fermented with a Belgian yeast. Hoppy, fruity, a little bubble gum, but very balanced. An interesting twist on a favorite.

Am I understanding you correctly...it is a product by stone? Hmm I've never seen it...Have to dig one up if I can find one...

Right now I am eating ice cream and contemplating an Oaked Arrogant bastard.

Oh and before the wee heavy I had a Stone IPA with my exptremely spicy Chicken mole I made for dinner...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #1117
heinz57
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Pasadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Am I understanding you correctly...it is a product by stone? Hmm I've never seen it...Have to dig one up if I can find one...

Right now I am eating ice cream and contemplating an Oaked Arrogant bastard.

Oh and before the wee heavy I had a Stone IPA with my exptremely spicy Chicken mole I made for dinner...
Indeed it is. I had this beer recently too and thought it was quite good. It didn't seem as hoppy as their IPA, but I wasn't focusing on the hops while drinking. It could also be that I've been drinking too much Pliny lately since they started distributing down here.

Either way, if you can find a bottle, snatch it up.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #1118
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Yes a Stone Beer, but hard to find bottled. I had some growlers filled at the brewery on Friday.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #1119
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 536 Times on 429 Posts

Jubelale, washing down homebade tortilla soup.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #1120
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts

The Cali-Belgique sounds downright delicious. I may have to take a Stone clone recipe and try some alternate yeast strains, I've been wanting another IPA on tap for the cold months... Been easily 4 months since my English IPA kicked.

@Kahuna, +1 to canned beer. I love the Boddington's with the widget, it's a great creamy smooth beer. Love drinkin' it on poker nights. Saw Fat Tire at the store in cans today - Normally I would jump at it, but I just haven't been feeling Fat Tire lately... I've been in a hoppy mood lately.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher