Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #101
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Packer game tonight--I got a few really nice treats for myself from Coastal Wine.

Found a few bottles of the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA. OMG I thought everyone had bought it up around here. I am stoked.

Also found a Great Divide Hercules Double IPA, and the Weyerbacker Imperial Pumpkin Ale just got released. Sounds interesting. Picked one up for tonight as well.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #102
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Stay away from the Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale. Nasty stuff. I'm not a fan of the regular Blue Moon so maybe that's it.

SWMBO hosted a party-lite party last weekend and bought a 6-pack of BMPA, Magic Hat #9, and Miller Lite. No one had any beer at the party so now I'm stuck with it.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #103
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 117

This is as good a thread as any to note that probably the worst beer I have had in a long, LONG time is Dogfish Head's imperial pilsner, "Golden Shower." Last time I get suckered in by a name that makes me laugh (God, I'm a tool). Horrible. Very thick. Had some bitterness and a little bit of hop aroma, but no real hop flavor despite being "continuously hopped." The bitterness was basically just back-of-the-throat bitterness.

Sickly sweet. Kinda tasted a little figgy, I've read an apt description of "old fruit," kinda reminded me of really bad fruitcake. Or, bad-fruitcake-flavored-cough-syrup.

The only thing the beer has going for it is that it comes in a very cool bottle, basically a wine bottle with a crown. I would *love* to find a source for these bottles so I don't have to waste that kind of $$ on DHF again (not that I would, not this brew at least).

Just terrible, I just don't get it - why would they put out a beer that's so obviously imbalanced? It feels like they made something different, and put it out because it IS different, without regard to whether that difference resulted in a good product or not. I was expecting a big but crisp, hoppy lager, a "good" version of the kinds of beers I started out drinking. Now, I now have zero trust in DFH, if I want to try something new I'll be looking elsewhere. Terrible, terrible beer, IMHO.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana
Old 10-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #104
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree, Golden Shower and their 120 minute IPA are sickeningly sweet. The bottle is different but is also a little more difficult to re-cap.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #105
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I haven't tried the 90 yet - is it more on the sweet side like the GS and 120 (I've heard that about the 120 elsewhere, and it makes NO sense to me), or is it more balanced like the 60?

The 60 is one of the better beers I've had lately, although I wouldn't mind if it were kicked up a little.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #106
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I haven't tried the 90 yet - is it more on the sweet side like the GS and 120 (I've heard that about the 120 elsewhere, and it makes NO sense to me), or is it more balanced like the 60?

The 60 is one of the better beers I've had lately, although I wouldn't mind if it were kicked up a little.
The 90 is the best of all of them, IMHO. It is about as perfect of a beer as DFH makes. I still think their are better IPAs out there, (Stone IPA, Legend IPA, etc.) but give me a DFH 90 anytime.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #107
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Stone Ruination's on the Try-ASAP list.

What's your Pliny a clone of? The Elder or The Younger (or something else that I don't know about)?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #108
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Stone Ruination's on the Try-ASAP list.

What's your Pliny a clone of? The Elder or The Younger (or something else that I don't know about)?
I was let down by Ruination. The bottle I had might have been old though.

My clone is of Pliny The Elder. I know I've said this a million times on this forum, but the recipe came directly from the head brewer. He handed the recipe out at the NHBC in 2005. I also have a .pdf file if anyone wants a copy.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #109
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

Dude, I'll vouch for Stone on the Ruination IPA. I know your location is on the edge their distribution. All of the IPA's that I have tasted that were fantastic were fairly local. I bought some Bridgeport IPA in OR that was great. I bought a sixer down here and it was like cardboard.

By the way, I'd love the Pliny recipe. Just PM me if it's not too much trouble.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #110
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Dude, I'll vouch for Stone on the Ruination IPA. I know your location is on the edge their distribution. All of the IPA's that I have tasted that were fantastic were fairly local. I bought some Bridgeport IPA in OR that was great. I bought a sixer down here and it was like cardboard.

By the way, I'd love the Pliny recipe. Just PM me if it's not too much trouble.
The recipe is readily available on this site. Just search for a thread by me called, "Screw it, I'm brewing" or something like that. Recipe is posted there. Or, PM me you e-mail address and I'll send you the .pdf file.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com