What are you drinking now? - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What are you drinking now?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #91
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 529 Times on 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I dunno, because I actually think AB is a little more harsh. Maybe yours was older? But yes, you are right --I believe the rye probably gives it an extra "spicy" character. Prolly what you are detecting?

I absolutely adore HRR. To me it has the perfect everything.

It seems to be a mystery as to what exactly type of bittering hops is in AB. Some say Chinook, which is very high cohumolone. That will make it very harsh.
We've got another Fancy Beer Friday coming up soon (I've decreed that EVERY Friday is FBF), so I may seek out HRR again to see if I'm now worthy. I'll say, though, that Walker's IPA is still going down REAL nice; I'm not sure that even Arrogant Bastard (which I really, REALLY like) is any better.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

funkadelicturkey Likes This 
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #92
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Walker's IPA is still going down REAL nice; I'm not sure that even Arrogant Bastard (which I really, REALLY like) is any better.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 AM   #93
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

You know that if, perchance, the Cincinatti Bail Bonds (I mean, Bengals) pull this game out of their ass this week, that's what you're getting...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 AM   #94
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

and you also realized that I f*cked it up and had to bitter with Cascade instead of Chinook, right? For all I know, YOUR version of the beer is lawn food.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #95
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

Quote:
You know that if, perchance, the Cincinatti Bail Bonds (I mean, Bengals) pull this game out of their ass this week, that's what you're getting...
And if the Patriots get a miracle, I'm sending you the same.

Hmmm... maybe instead of a "loser sends 2 beers" it should be "winner sends 1, looser sends 3". Winner still comes out +2 beers in total, but the loser still gets a chance to taste the winner's beer for comparison's sake.

-walker

Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #96
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

That sounds fair. I *would* like your opinion on this, since you are, by definition, this particular brew's expert. Is that the one that you brewed this part weekend?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #97
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

Quote:
That sounds fair. I *would* like your opinion on this, since you are, by definition, this particular brew's expert. Is that the one that you brewed this part weekend?
Nope. My most recent batch of IPA was brewed July 4th and bottled August 12th or so. I've been drinking it all week. In fact, going to get one out of the fridge right now.

I brewed my porter this past weekend.

-walker

Old 09-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #98
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

And here's where I really get confused. I like HRR, especially after it's warmed up a bit. There's a little bit of everything going on there but it's a good mix.

The DFH 60 and 90 (of which I still have a bottle in my fridge if anyone wants it) just did NOT do it for me. Total Hop overload.

I used to like IPA's a lot, and find myself not digging them as much as I used to. But I'm sure it's just my taste. I'm really liking Porters and Stouts so that may be it. But HRR is a good beer, especially (to me anyway) when it's had a chance to reach almost room temp. The flavors really jump out.... (Hops and Malt alike)

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #99
disaffected
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Keep with it. It will grow on you.

And you can't detect sweetness in that? All of the DFH stuff (including 90 minute) is too sweet for me.

My advice, don't waste your money on Arrogant Bastard or Hop Rod Rye for a while. That'll kick you in the nuts.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually had Arrogant Bastard a few times, and I tried very hard to be worthy! Damn their marketing that appeals to the macho ego! Fact is, it kicked my nuts!

Now, I'm having another DFH 60 minute IPA, and it doesn't seem quite so shocking this time around. Hmmmm.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #100
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I had an Arrogant Bastard last night after I had to dump a local micro that had a funky sour taste. Right now it is an Anchor Small Beer. I'm thinking mine had been on the shelf too long because it it very dry, no sweetness at all and the maltiness is very flat. The hops just give a sharp bitterness at the back of the tongue. I'm disappointed. Please tell me it's a bad bottle and not how this stuff is really supposed to taste.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles