Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Miller / Coors Home Draft to regular or paintball CO2

Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIBrew View Post
Did you have to cut down the cartridge housing at all to screw in the 1/4" pipe because I did on the Coors one. Thanks I will see if I can screw it in further.

Also, I forgot to ask some of you who have done this. Can you force carb with the methods you've tried?
I did not have to cut down the cartridge housing at all. I did screw the street elbow onto the pipe first then used a wrench on that to screw the pipe into the tap.

I'll take some pics of the finished product.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #32
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'm not sure that i clearly see what we are doing here. the air chuck hack is simply so you can charge the keg with CO2 without having to use the 16g cylinders?

can i just buy one of these and fill it with homebrew and charge it a 16g cylinders and have a "mini-keg" for my beer?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #33
Gigan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinback View Post
i'm not sure that i clearly see what we are doing here. the air chuck hack is simply so you can charge the keg with CO2 without having to use the 16g cylinders?

can i just buy one of these and fill it with homebrew and charge it a 16g cylinders and have a "mini-keg" for my beer?
Yes, lots aof videos on youtube that show you how. I think the hack here is just to bypass the 16gram cartridges. They can add up in $ and can be hard to find for some. I have also seen videos of someone who cut the 16 gram cart. to be a sleeve for an 8 gram cart. So the 8 gram cart. can fit. They are cheeper and easier to find for some.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #34
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for that clarity. I guess it could be an easy way to begin a keg operation. So you've definitely got my attention. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #35
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is a picture of my solution.

Using the original part of this thread with the 1/8" MIP x 1 1/2" pipe and the 1/8" MIP street elbow is the key for me. From there my CO2 charger connects right up.

Nice and easy.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #36
CIBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the pics. I know exactly what I did wrong and will correct it.

So are you able to force carbonate with this method?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #37
h0rse27
Recipes 

Looks pretty good. Not to hijack but this seems like an easy way to rig them up also.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Miller/Coors Home Draft

Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #38
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIBrew View Post
Thanks for the pics. I know exactly what I did wrong and will correct it.

So are you able to force carbonate with this method?
I believe I could force carbonate if I wanted. In my case I fill from my keg and go from there.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #39
GotTrub
Recipes 

I couldn't help myself and I threw together two video's on youtube for those whom may not be mechanically inclined on how to tear down and rebuild the Coors/Miller home brew system. It was a first go at it and after drilling - i found a small plastic plunger that likely is a check valve to limit potential liquid leaching to the air cylinders. That said, there was no leaking when removed... Also, just want to point out that the Watts copper/brass connectors have lead (Pb) at 0.25% or greater... it's an assumption that simple air flow through the pipes will not transfer Pd (likely a decent assumption), however if they get any back-wash particularly if your brew is acidic - won't kill you but over long term contact... not good for ya!

Part 1 shows how to break down the device, the parts needed, and how to remove the side cap and drill it out.

Part 2 is the step by step rebuild to link to a quick valve... let's not forget to purge any O2 which is also discussed.

I hope they are helpful to anyone looking to do a tear-down more than just the CO2 cartridge replacement... (oh - saw some chatter regarding non-food grade vs. food grade... they usually put a silicon oil in the airsoft/paintball systems - you'll probably get a foul taste and an oil slick - which will kill head retention.)
kmcace Likes This 
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #40
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great vid!

I have a couple of these that I was planning on hooking up to co2 by modding a spent cart, but after just 3 carts in one the seal was already starting to fail, so I think this method is going to be a lot more reliable.

That regulator you got there is one of a few that I can get locally. What size fitting does that screw on to? It doesn't look like it'd fit on my 2.5lb co2 tank without some sort of conversion.

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale