Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Miller / Coors Home Draft to regular or paintball CO2

Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtB View Post
Do not pressurize a growler. It will explode.
+1
This is a recipe for disaster.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #22
CIBrew
Recipes 

I just found this post yesterday and I'm trying to hack the coors light version. I had to cut a little bit off to try and get the street elbow in. My question is that after I removed the pin and all the plastics from inside there is a visible gap where I'm pretty sure CO2 will leak. How did you compensate for this? Do you put the cartridge back in?

Thanks

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Sounds like you didn't get the pipe in all the way. Can you post a picture?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm getting ready to hook mine up to CO2 as well, this is definitely a different approach than the ones I've seen so far.
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #25
Gigan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a coors lite home draft system as well that needs hacking. Im looking forward to hearing what kind of luck you guys have with this. I dumped the coors lite, sterilized it, and filled it with my brew so the co2 is still functional. I will need to figure out what approach to go with after I drink it though. I know, I dumped the coors lite but I hate that crap and I still came out ahead with the tap system

Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #26
CIBrew
Recipes 

I hooked up co2 today and filled the bottle with water. Water is leaking back out right by the old co2 cartridge. I think i drilled out too much or didnt put something back in. Can the OP post a picture of a coors light hack? I think the coors one is different than the miller

Heres what mine looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3085509152.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	38496

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2270857796.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	38497

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't own one of these so I'm not sure if it can be done, but to me the simplest option is to drill a hole in a empty co2 cartridge and weld on a pipe thread fitting to connect a standard barb and line. Any reason that can't be done ?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #28
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is my solution. There is a Grainger close to my house so I go there, but you can probably find the same connectors at McMaster Carr. I choose the 1/8 NMPT thread so that I don't have to alter the black plastic cartridge holder. I drill and tap the end of a spent cartridge then use some 5 minute epoxy when threading in a coupler to create a seal. Since the wall of the cartridge is so thin plumbers tape won't make a good seal. I like the epoxy rather than a weld because I can still take it apart should I choose to change ends.

1/4 air chuck (air tool) end.

1/4 MFL fitting end (same thing as the fitting for my cornie disconnects).

1/4 Poly barb. I also have a 1/4 brass barb but no pic handy.

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIBrew View Post
I hooked up co2 today and filled the bottle with water. Water is leaking back out right by the old co2 cartridge. I think i drilled out too much or didnt put something back in. Can the OP post a picture of a coors light hack? I think the coors one is different than the miller

Heres what mine looks like:

Attachment 38496

Attachment 38497
I used the OP's instructions and it works fine. From you second picture I can see you have not screwed the 1/4"MIP pipe in far enough. You might have to go another 1/4" to 3/8". You will have to got past the hole where the input from the original cartridge is located.

After I did this the first time I had a small leak from around the pipe. To resolve this I unscrewed the pipe and applied 5 minute epoxy to the threads then reinstalled it. I tested it underwater an hour later and no leaks! It works great.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
CIBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
I used the OP's instructions and it works fine. From you second picture I can see you have not screwed the 1/4"MIP pipe in far enough. You might have to go another 1/4" to 3/8". You will have to got past the hole where the input from the original cartridge is located.

After I did this the first time I had a small leak from around the pipe. To resolve this I unscrewed the pipe and applied 5 minute epoxy to the threads then reinstalled it. I tested it underwater an hour later and no leaks! It works great.
Did you have to cut down the cartridge housing at all to screw in the 1/4" pipe because I did on the Coors one. Thanks I will see if I can screw it in further.

Also, I forgot to ask some of you who have done this. Can you force carb with the methods you've tried?

Reason: forgot something