Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cask Conditioning

Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
Uncle Fat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True. Good time to break out the 2.5 gallon keg...

At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fat
The upside down thing I haven't done myself (only read about). It's supposed to be a more authentic cask expericnce... If I were doing it (might try this soon), I'd put an open-ended ball-lock connector (or maybe one connected to a filter) on the "out" connection (attached to the down-tube) to let air in. Pretty much just the oposite of normal keg operation.
I guess you plan on drinking that entire corny in a day or two? Letting just plain old air into it is NOT a good thing and if you don't drink it quick it'll start to go bad pretty quick with room air entering it!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
Uncle Fat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
I guess you plan on drinking that entire corny in a day or two? Letting just plain old air into it is NOT a good thing and if you don't drink it quick it'll start to go bad pretty quick with room air entering it!

Well... yeah... we'd been talking about that in the past couple of posts (using a 2.5gal corny and / or inviting a BUNCH of friends over to drink it). Of course, you could always dispense with CO2 (and/or nitro) set to very low PSI to get the "real ale" experience without letting outside air in... whatever your fancy...
At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fat
Well... yeah... we'd been talking about that in the past couple of posts (using a 2.5gal corny and / or inviting a BUNCH of friends over to drink it). Of course, you could always dispense with CO2 (and/or nitro) set to very low PSI to get the "real ale" experience without letting outside air in... whatever your fancy...
Ah, but if you are planning on using CO2 to keep air from getting in the keg, you might as well use it to carbonate.....

But we are going round and round in circles now.
Feurhund Likes This 
Old 09-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #15
kneemoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Ah, but if you are planning on using CO2 to keep air from getting in the keg, you might as well use it to carbonate.....

But we are going round and round in circles now.
no offense, but that's sounding like an awfully *categorical* statement to me.... if you use co2 at 1 atomosphere it doesn't do *anything* to the beer beyond create a blanket that protects from infection - no matter what the "real ale" folks want to tell ya (which is, dont ever use gas injection cuz its just not right) whats wrong with keeping my beer fresh and free from infection? especially if im not changing the beer in doing so?
obviously, not tryin to pick a fight here, but there's plenty of different views on *this* subject

Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #16
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a blast to seal. I then let the pressure out and the seal stays. The cask conditions quite well under natural carbonation. I then use CO2 @ 3lbs to serve. Works for me Bikebryan.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #17
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The CAMRA folks I've conversed with say they expect some taste of oxidation in their cask beers. I guess itís supposed to be part of the whole Real Beer experience.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 09-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemoe
whats wrong with keeping my beer fresh and free from infection? especially if im not changing the beer in doing so?
obviously, not tryin to pick a fight here, but there's plenty of different views on *this* subject
OK, OK, I wasn't trying to fight, but I do have a question, since you brought this up:

How does carbonating from a CO2 bottle "change" the beer? CO2 is CO2. The beer is exactly the same regardless of how the CO2 gets into it.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #19
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It doesn't really change the beer, but changes the way the beer feels in your mouth. At least this is my opinion.

-walker

Old 09-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #20
kneemoe
Recipes 

Quote:
OK, OK, I wasn't trying to fight, but I do have a question, since you brought this up:

How does carbonating from a CO2 bottle "change" the beer? CO2 is CO2. The beer is exactly the same regardless of how the CO2 gets into it.
no worries
generally speaking, when you inject CO2 to dispense beer you'll add more dissolved CO2 (unless the regulator's set up perfectly) just to force the beer out the tap
if you just mean using the canister to force carb (instead of say, some form of a priming agent), i don't know that it is any different whatsoever, but im sure opinions vary on that one too

i dont know why they go for that somewhat oxidized taste, i had a bluebird last night that had just been tapped and i almost didnt want to drink it. if i'd a brewed it i'da thought i hadn't sanitized things properly.