This is my first time posting here, just wanted to say that I brewed this recipe yesterday and had almost the exact same experience as cottagebrews below! Ha, everything went great yesterday and I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Irish Ale) about 4pm. I used a 6.5 gal carboy so didn't think I'd need a blowoff tube (this is only my second brew, first non-kit recipe). Well, at 7am this morning the airlock was overpowered by the fermentation, but wasn't so clogged that it blew off. As deftly as I could right out of bed I removed the airlock and attached blowoff tube (sanitizing everything as I went). It was happily bubbling and gurgling away as I left for work. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll try to give an update on my brew as it progresses.
Originally Posted by cottagebrews
Thanks, BigB, that was very helpful. Brew day went off without a hitch, apart from dropping my hydrometer and having to run out to buy another. The "sound of victory" this morning was a bit louder than expected, however: krausen forced its way into my airlock, clogged it, and eventually blew the lid clear off my primary bucket. I was able to rig a blow off tube using part of the airlock and the siphon tubing. Crisis averted for now. Fermentation was active enough that I hopefully won't suffer any serious contamination, but final word on that will have to wait until I bottle in four weeks. Thanks again!