Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Control 12V w/ Ebay Aquarium Controller?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts

Default Control 12V w/ Ebay Aquarium Controller?

It appears that the switched relays are powered independently from the power feeding the actual controller. Am I correct in assuming that it is fine to power 12V from these terminals? Thinking of rigging up a temperature controlled fermentation cooler utilizing recirculating water. I have several 12V bait tank pumps and a regulated power supply to run them off of.

my thought is, set up a recirculating colling system similar to what is being discussed in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wate...chiller-81501/

And house the entire thing inside an insulated box with a space heater inside. The cold water tank would be outside of the box, with the lines running a minimal distance into/back out of the chamber. Temperature probe would be inside the 10 gallon construction cooler, with fermentation done in a carboy inside of it. Hook the lines up with garden hose fittings so that the cooler could be easily drained, and I would never have to remove it from the cooler to rack, kinda an overgrown carboy carrier.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
digitalhifi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It seems like it would work to me as well. I had planned on using one of these controllers to control my son of fermentation chiller instead of a thermostat. Anyone who has actually done this?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think I am going to have to try it out. I ordered a controller with the thoughts of picking up a fridge or freezer to convert later on. Other than a few inexpensive fittings, it won't cost anything to rig up. The test run will have to be done in a smaller cooler to avoid buying another. If it works well, might have to go shopping.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If it doesn't run 12v like you wanted, you can always rig it up with a 12v charger/adapter. I've bought three of them really cheap from here: http://www.power101.com/item.htm?id=60228 And they work!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The Aquarium controllers are pretty neat devices. They will switch either of DC or AC, as it's a relay-type of switch. Once the circuit is made, it'll pass whatever you send through it. However, I'd make sure NOT to exceed the capacity (10Amps I think).

Alternately, someone could rig up a home battery-powered thermostat in their kegerator, run a 12VDC through the switch, and have it activate a relay (the 12V car-type can handle 30A). I used to run a refrigerator that way, never had a problem.

M_C

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

that is exactly what I wanted to hear.....this is going to be a really cool (and easy) project.