Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Batch on the Yeast Cake --- What a mess!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Batch on the Yeast Cake --- What a mess!

Ok, so knowing the pros and cons, I have experimented with a couple of batches being tossed right on the prior's yeast cake to see how it turns out for me.

I did a Centennial Blonde a bit ago, and the thing TOOK OFF and finished quick, no harm no foul.

So yesterday I threw a bigger (1.080) batch of my IPA onto a yeast cake from a previous batch.

This morning, my blowoff tube (6' long) was full of yeast, as was the container for my blowoff, and the entire bottom of my fermenter fridge, AND a nice long trail across the floor in the room with the fridge.

Doh! What a freakin' mess. Should be fun when I get home from work tonight.

Jason Harris, Beer Dork Extraordinaire and wannabe blogger
Homebrew noob, moving right along
In The Pipeline: Amber Lance
On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I don't usually pitch onto an entire cake. I'll sanitize a ladle, scoop out about 1/2 the cake and discard it.

OR add that 1/2 to a clean fermenter and pitch on it there.

The second way, you can get the top(yeast) layer and leave the trub behind.