Well it is finally time. I have a few well for the lack of a better word n00b questions.
1. I bought a 7.5 gallon kettle but I didn't take into consideration that I would need a long spoon to go with it. I am making a fuggles IPA from Midwest. Would it be ok to do a 3 gallon boil and then top up or should I find a resuraunt supply store and buy a spoon.
2. My equipment kit came with a tub of EZ clean. I have been reading up on this and it seems that it isn't a true sanatizer, which is kind of misleading on Midwests part to make you think you have everything that you need right away. Should I go with what I have or should I track down some starsan? Also EZ clean wouldn't work in my sulfiter would it?
3. Speaking of my sulfiter I got the nozzle together ok but when I put the nozzle/ plate in the bowl all three tabs don't stay down. Is this normal? The directions were in Italian so they weren't much help.
4. I have heard many methods of adding my LME. I heard add 25% after the grain steep and once the boil begins do the hop additions as scheduled there are 3 fuggles additions to this beer. With 10 Minutes left in the boil add the rest of the LME. I am not sure what to do here.
5. This last question is more of a question for the misses. I am planning on doing the boil when she is gone this weekend, My concern is when the fermenter is in my closet. Are there going to be any major smell concerns during fermentation? We live in a 800 Sq ft 1 bed room. I am trying to minimize mess so I will probably put down a layer of News paper and Garbage bag my fermenter just to be safe. If worse comes to worse I will use my siphon hose for blow off. Well I think that is all for now. I am sure I will come up more questions as I am brewing on Saturday and you guys will become tired of my questions. But I guess that is the only way I am going to learn doing, making mistakes, and asking questions. Thanks so much any help would be appreciated.