Keezer Collar Material Questions - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Keezer Collar Material Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
iijakii
 
iijakii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Portland-ish, OR
Posts: 6,047
Liked 1801 Times on 1125 Posts



So I was having my Dad help me with my Keezer due to him having a Miter saw and copious amounts of other helpful tools. I tell him of my plans, using the standard 1x6 poplar or oak most people do on this board, while probably putting some foam board insulation on the inside as well.

He goes off and tells me about how garbage that idea is, and wants to use a rigid foam insulation sandwiched between two FRP boards. Does anyone have any experience with making a collar out of FRP?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
So I was having my Dad help me with my Keezer due to him having a Miter saw and copious amounts of other helpful tools. I tell him of my plans, using the standard 1x6 poplar or oak most people do on this board, while probably putting some foam board insulation on the inside as well.

He goes off and tells me about how garbage that idea is, and wants to use a rigid foam insulation sandwiched between two FRP boards. Does anyone have any experience with making a collar out of FRP?
I have no experience with building a collar using FRP. I suppose it could be done without too much trouble, but there is also absolutely nothing wrong with doing it your way. I suspect that your dad did not like the idea of having the bare exposed foam on the inside of a wooden collar.

Here is my suggestion. Fabricate the collar from wood. Back it with rigid foam insulation and face the insulation with some FRP on the inside. I would use 2 X wood and 3/4" rigid foam. The 2 X lumber will be structurally more sound, less prone to warping, bending etc and provides more "meat" when mounting the shanks and taps if you go that way. So, this would give you the wood collar that you desire and satisfy your dad with a finished appearance on the inside. Best of both worlds IMO.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
ascha
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
pennsylvania
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Mine is made from a 1x4 and foam board behind it. It works great and it's solid.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
iijakii
 
iijakii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Portland-ish, OR
Posts: 6,047
Liked 1801 Times on 1125 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I have no experience with building a collar using FRP. I suppose it could be done without too much trouble, but there is also absolutely nothing wrong with doing it your way. I suspect that your dad did not like the idea of having the bare exposed foam on the inside of a wooden collar.

Here is my suggestion. Fabricate the collar from wood. Back it with rigid foam insulation and face the insulation with some FRP on the inside. I would use 2 X wood and 3/4" rigid foam. The 2 X lumber will be structurally more sound, less prone to warping, bending etc and provides more "meat" when mounting the shanks and taps if you go that way. So, this would give you the wood collar that you desire and satisfy your dad with a finished appearance on the inside. Best of both worlds IMO.
Yeah I think that would be the best course of action, but I don't think I will go down that route. Scoping out FRP panels at Home Depot and Lowes, they don't have any small siding pieces. Only 8'x4' or whatever, $35. I think I might go just the 1x6 with foam insulation like I was planning. The sandwiched FRP might be a better alternative to pure wood, I'm unsure. I am kind of looking forward to having the dark mahogany stained collar to contrast my black freezer, though. Adding more trim would just keep raising the price.

Is there any other easier way to cover the foam with something waterproof?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
Is there any other easier way to cover the foam with something waterproof?
Yeah, I can understand not wanting to shell out the bucks for a large sheet of FRP. You could face the foam with wood. You could paint or varnish the wood to make it more water resistant. The collar probably won't get much exposure to moisture if everything is well sealed. Very little condensation accumulates in my freezer and none at all on the collar or foam that I can detect.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keezer - How did you (or will) put your collar together? Indyking Kegerators & Keezers 15 11-11-2010 02:58 AM
Keezer Collar Build Rundownhouse Kegerators & Keezers 3 07-05-2010 04:50 PM
Keezer Collar Kplum Kegerators & Keezers 3 03-22-2010 02:48 PM
keezer w/ extended collar? Jersh Kegerators & Keezers 2 02-05-2010 01:36 PM
Building a keezer collar? claphamsa Kegerators & Keezers 2 11-27-2008 07:11 PM


Forum Jump