Splitting a batch of Stout Help - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Splitting a batch of Stout Help

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
J-Malone
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Dickson, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to brew an oatmeal stout (5 gallon AG batch). I want 1/2 to be regular and 1/2 I want to do a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. I assume I would just split the batch in secondary.

So the questions
- is that a good way to do it?
- what are other options?
- what kind of chocolate should I use for each type of split?

Thanks in advance

John

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Yes, that's the best way to go about it. No other options if you want the base beer to ferment exactly the same.

I typically use bakers cocoa (pure cocoa) in the secondary.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
djonas
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how else you would do it. Besides the bar cocoa, a lot of people use cocoa powder in the secondary as well. Just make sure that you get stuff that's low in fat, preservatives and sugar.