pilsen ready but not ready for lagering? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > pilsen ready but not ready for lagering?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
maltbarleyhops
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
st charles mo, mo
Posts: 306
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



recipe-
9lb 3 oz german pilzen (best mals pilzen)
2 oz hersbrucker at 60 min
1 0z saaz at 30 min
s-23 dry lager yeast

16 days into primary (@ 54-56 deg f), gravity from 1.055 og to 1.010 today.
a little taste and it tastes great. a nice treat was the little bubbles in the hydrometer tube. very light in colour and is already clearing nice.

Dilemma-
i would rack over and start lagering but the damn airlock is still hitting every 30-40 seconds. im thinking on passing on any kind of "rest" and just let the activity go on and test again on friday.

what say you?

im not stressing but this is my first lager...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,308
Liked 498 Times on 386 Posts


i'd leave it another couple days then check the grav again. if its the same, rack to secondary and start lagering.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
maltbarleyhops
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
st charles mo, mo
Posts: 306
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


should have added. expected fg was 1.013 and im already at 1.010.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,736
Liked 8012 Times on 5599 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maltbarleyhops View Post
should have added. expected fg was 1.013 and im already at 1.010.
That doesn't matter. You're probably done, but wait two days to make sure. If you're still at 1.010, then you can rack and begin lagering. I'd probably just go ahead and do a diacetyl rest now, even if you're not tasting diacetyl, at 60-65 degrees for 48 hours. If it's still got an unchanging SG after that, then I'd rack and start lagering.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
rjwhite41
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Osceola, Iowa
Posts: 1,421
Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That doesn't matter. You're probably done, but wait two days to make sure. If you're still at 1.010, then you can rack and begin lagering. I'd probably just go ahead and do a diacetyl rest now, even if you're not tasting diacetyl, at 60-65 degrees for 48 hours. If it's still got an unchanging SG after that, then I'd rack and start lagering.
I agree with Yooper although the Packer pic is throwing me off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
maltbarleyhops
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
st charles mo, mo
Posts: 306
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


thought id post an update-
although its LONG gone. "Dont Spilzen the Pilzen" was an absolute success! was enjoyed by many. and as soon as i get a lagering cab built or this hellacious summer goes away ill be turning and burning on this one.

thinking about how to store multiple cornies of this, have really gotten board with bottling and it would be so nice to throw another cold cornie on as on runs dry....

thanks for the advice Yoop, i didnt notice ani Diacetyl with the first tastes but went on with the rest you suggested. as i was "premiering" this i had a few "perfectionists" that were predicting diacetyl tastes as this was my first lager. (not to my face of course, but amongst themselves).

and as Karma will, one of them truly got it that evening. he was delivering an IPA that was supposed to be all that plus. ended up having the distinct taste of Corn sugar and a bit of methyl alcohol. Quite horrid! i dont like to see any beer fail, but after his "know it all" comments, it was ...........amusing.

Slainte'

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltbarleyhops View Post
thought id post an update-
although its LONG gone. "Dont Spilzen the Pilzen" was an absolute success! was enjoyed by many. and as soon as i get a lagering cab built or this hellacious summer goes away ill be turning and burning on this one.

thinking about how to store multiple cornies of this, have really gotten board with bottling and it would be so nice to throw another cold cornie on as on runs dry....

thanks for the advice Yoop, i didnt notice ani Diacetyl with the first tastes but went on with the rest you suggested. as i was "premiering" this i had a few "perfectionists" that were predicting diacetyl tastes as this was my first lager. (not to my face of course, but amongst themselves).

and as Karma will, one of them truly got it that evening. he was delivering an IPA that was supposed to be all that plus. ended up having the distinct taste of Corn sugar and a bit of methyl alcohol. Quite horrid! i dont like to see any beer fail, but after his "know it all" comments, it was ...........amusing.

Slainte'
Glad the beer turned out great! And always a great pleasure when a know-it-all gets the short end of the stick.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i know my starter is ready? hiphops Fermentation & Yeast 8 06-07-2011 12:39 PM
wort is ready but not the starter hiphops Fermentation & Yeast 7 06-06-2011 10:57 PM
I don't know if it's ready...need help pamarino17 Fermentation & Yeast 1 06-01-2011 12:05 PM
Ready for Bottling??? hiphops Fermentation & Yeast 5 08-25-2010 01:00 AM
Is my Bastard Ready? permo Fermentation & Yeast 17 05-25-2010 03:34 PM


Forum Jump