cider brew!!! looking for input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselboy

Reaction score
So I am new to homebrewing and currently have a american pale ale it bottles that will hopefully be ready in the next few weeks. But in the meantime my fermenter sits empty and that's troublesome. I have also found the joy of modifying my first recipes to try to achieve a certain taste. So I've constructed this cider recipe from the bits and prices of other people recipes which are found in hbt cider forum. What im wondering is does my recipe make sense? Are there any glaring errors in it. What are the tastes that certain sugars.impart. I knw dme will give it a full body flavor/feeling. Im looking for a lighter note for this so I was thinkin light brown sugar.

Here is my proposed recipe for 5 gal

4.5 gal of apple cider pasturized
1lb. Crystal 10l
2oz torrified wheat
1 lb german pilsner
1-2 cups of light brown sugar

I would steep grains at 155 for 20 min. Sparge at 170 for 5 min. Then add the brown sugar to wort. Add wort to 4.5 gal of cider and stir. Take SG. Add. Apple juice.concentrate/corn sugar/brown sugar to reach desired SG. Pitch champagne yeast. Let ferment in primary until fg gets down around 1.001 or less. 3-4 weeks? Rack to secondary with. Peeled and cored apples along with 2 vanilla beans and 2 cinnamon sticks. Let sit for x amount of days before adding primer and bottling. Let it sit for another 3-4 weeks.

That's my thought process. Now here are my questions. What should my SG be? What of my 3 choices should I use to get it to reach the SG. ? How with each one of those affect the final flavor? Is 10oz of corn sugar enough to prime 5 gallons?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Back