URGENT! Sanitation disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
I've brewed for a little while, and had a couple of bad batches, so my heart is very anxious right now - just transfered to a keg 5 gal of Lemon Coriander Weiss. Put some pressure on it to seat the seals and purge O2. Hooked the CO2 up to the beer post thinking that gently bubbling the CO2 from the bottom would displace O2 out the top more efficiently. Left it on the gas after shutting off the tank for about 30 mins, and I must have a leaky regulator! beer went up the gas line into my regulator!

Like an idiot, I turned the gas back on, which pushed the beer back into the keg.

Ack! Contamination! What a fool!

So now should I fridge the keg without any aging to slow any bacteria, or age it properly and hope for the best? It sure smells young right now... 1 week in the primary and 1 in the secondary. I transfered it a tad early to free the secondary.

Please give me some hope... :(

My hope to you is that mabe there was enough Alcohol in your brew to run down any contamination. I think your probably pretty safe, 6 in one hand half dozen in the other....Drink it as soon as you can, or take the chance.

Since the beer is done, the alcohol should take care of any baddies that got in there. It's mostly wort that's in danger of infection. I wouldn't worry about it

Thanks guys, I guess I'll go ahead and age it and hope it turns out. Off hand, any links/advice on rebuilding regulators, or cleaning young Weissbier out of them in my case? Don't want this to drain my 20# bottle when it's time to dispense...

PoB

You shouldn't have any issues. Now, having said that, did you learn your lesson and order a check valve for your gas line so that never happens again?

Here is a link to a very nice in line check valve from US Plastics.

I don't wanna be a turd in the punchbowl, but your next worry is if you will have a problem with the regulator down the road. That's what a check valve is really for, to protect your regulator.

Latest posts

Back